• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pronghorn Hunting Report

Well the North Dakota pronghorn hunt for Marine_Man (Rob) and myself started last year. We applied for our pronghorn tags for the 2005 hunting season for the first time. We were unsuccessful in drawing last year. When this year rolled around we had some bonus points but neither of us felt very confident in our chances of drawing a tag in our second year. We have spoken to several people that have applied 4 or more years before they draw a pronghorn buck tag. But, after some discussion, we decided that we would apply this year again at least to keep our points rolling and building up. I told Rob I was going to apply in South Dakota as well to hunt with another buddy. Well sure enough I ended up drawing my South Dakota tags a week later. Then a couple days after that Rob called and told me we got our North Dakota tags. I didn’t believe him because I figured there would be no way we would get our tags, but there they were the next week in the mail.

That brought us to the planning for the trip. I have a coworker who was also a good friend from college that grew up around Rhame, ND in SW North Dakota. Last year I contacted her to see if she though we could hunt on some of her relatives property. So this year I contacted her again and asked the same thing. She said it would be no problem and she got the contact info for her brother and dad. So after talking with her brother we had land lined up to hunt on. He assured me there was a good population of pronghorn on the property that we would be hunting and as long as we could shoot decent we shouldn’t have a problem filling our tags.

The North Dakota pronghorn season opens as noon central time so it was decided that we would head out Thursday night after work and have Friday morning to scout and locate the herds and get a feel of the ranch. We made it to Bowman ND late Thursday evening and found a campground to make home for the weekend. After a good night sleep we woke early and eagerly awaited to see how the day was going to unfold.

We meet up with my friend’s brother (Matt) and he explained the layout of the ranch. We had access to 7000 acres of land to hunt on. He told us where we could go and told us where he had been seeing the herds on the ranch. The ranch was filled with oil wells so there were access roads all over the place so it was very easy to hunt on this land. Matt told us he had another hunter coming out and that he would be taking him to the east side of the ranch so he suggested we head to the west. It didn’t take us long to locate our first herd which held about 25 pronghorn. There were 2 or 3 decent bucks in this heard. One in particular was larger than the other two. We was decided that after it was legal shooting hours we would come back after him. It was still an hour before shooting hours so we continued our search of the ranch to get a feel for the ranch.

12:00 PM central time legal shooting hours were on us and it was time to hunt. We went back to the first herd we had spotted and attempted to stalk into position. That is when we first began to really appreciate the keen senses that these animals have. It seemed like every time we would get into position they already knew we where there. After working the same herd around the ranch for a few hours we found ourselves back to where we originally started hunting. Rob said lets work into position and take our time and let them get used to us. So we had a decent draw that concealed us pretty well up to about 250 yards from the herd. After three hours of working this herd it appeared they had in fact forgot about us. They for surely didn’t know where we were at currently. So I flipped out the bipods on my .270 and prepared to shoot. The bigger buck we had spotted earlier was still in the herd and was out in the middle all by himself. I squeezed off a shot and down he went with a clean vital shot to the front shoulder. I went out to claim my first pronghorn I surprised to find that it actually had a double set of horns. It had the main horns that were 13” long, which, I am told, is a decent animal. But behind the main horns it had another 1+” horn on each side. After talking with Matt he said he had never seen a pronghorn with double horns like mine.

jasoncroppedmediumsl8.jpg

Well I was done with my North Dakota hunt so now it was Rob’s turn. Matt asked if Rob if he was ready to go. Matt jumped in with us and took us to the east side of the ranch. It became obvious there were more animals here than what we had seen on the west side. There were pronghorn all over on this side of the ranch. But they were all too far away or not big enough. We were about to call it a day when 4 bucks ran in front of us. There was one decent buck in the group. But they were moving at a good clip. Matt told Rob to get in position on top of a ridge and to see if there was a decent one like we thought. There was but it was a pretty good distance off. Matt told Rob that the one was a shooter. So after some discussion Rob decided to go after this one. Rob took a shot with his .270 WSM and the buck stumbled. A quick follow up shot finished the animal off. After picking the pronghorn up we determined that the shot was a solid 450-500 yard shot. Rob’s pronghorn also measured out to 13”.

robcleanedcropped1mediumgg2.jpg

The afternoon came together correctly and it hooked Rob and me on another type of hunting. I knew it was going to be a fun trip when we left but I am still a little surprised how much fun it was. I was amazed at just how much work it did take to get in position to be able to take one of these animals. The speeds of them are truly incredible. They look as if they are just trotting but they can cover a lot of ground at a trot. We both look forward to our next North Dakota pronghorn hunt. Saturday in South Dakota didn’t go as well but there is still one week left to hunt so it should come together stay tune there might be an update after this next week.

IFFWalleyes & marine_man

Congrats on a great hunt, fellas. Sounds like a great time. Jason, can you post some closer pics of the "extra horny" goat so I can see what you mean? If I understand you right, it sounds like a unique and really cool trophy! Worthy of a head mount?

Congrats! I chase those dang things every year with my bow and come up empty handed each time. My one buddy likens bow hunting for them to putting your genitals on the counter and beating them with a spatula!!! (I love that analogy! grin.gif) I'd have to agree with him.

Quote:

My one buddy likens bow hunting for them to putting your genitals on the counter and beating them with a spatula!!! (I love that analogy!
grin.gif
) I'd have to agree with him.

I can't imagine what it would be like bow hunting for pronghorn... do you decoy Scoot, or what's the method? We had a hard enough time getting within decent shooting range, I bet it's really difficult to pull that off with a bow!

Oh, and on your analogy - I would agree, with all the sneaking / stalking... between that and picking up more than my fair share of cactus stickers it was quite the experience...

marine_man

IFF, yeah if you get a chance please post the pics- I'm curious.

MM, yep, it's mostly a sneak as close as you can kinda deal, pop up the decoy, hit the call, then watch them walk (or run) away. It also usually involves about a mile walk out, a couple hundred yards of belly crawling (with bow and decoy), then a mile walk back (with tail between legs). Frustrating! I think bowhunting for muleys is as much work, but it seems the chances for success are much higher (as seen in the pic below- taken three weeks ago).

ecb66c22.jpg

Jason,

Very cool! If I shot that bad boy, I'd definitely mount it. Tons of character points there!

I don't see your e-mail addy listed. I'll gladly spill the beans to you in an e-mail though.