• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Pup

LABS4ME

After 2 years of research and looking and talking and being interviewed, I found out tonight that in 7 weeks I will be the proud new owner of one of the few remaining FIELD BRED American Cocker Spaniels. These aren't the piddle on the floor, yippy, nippy, dust mops we all know that are owned by the quiet old grandma up the street, but rather hard core hunters that will bring joy to even this old grizzled Lab lover! and the wife gets her house dog to boot!

This dog is from the same lines as an American Cocker who recently attained his Field Champion title, the 1st to do so since 1960! His parents are hunted extensivley across the country... from ducks and pheasants in the Dakotas, to Woodcock in Pennsylvania, to grouse in Maine. (we're hoping to get the breeder to Minnesota in the next couple of years too!) They are also running hunt tests with success and open breed hunting competitions with even greater success. It's sad, there are less breeders of these dogs in the country, than you have fingers on your hand. Luckily one line - "Dungarvin" had working Cockers still in their breeding and these few dedicated breeders used this stock to begin their lines and have worked diligently on helping them make a small comeback. The demand for these pups is high and sometimes it takes several years to get one... from what I've gathered, I should expect a highly trainable, very natural, hunting dog, that has a merry attitude and a burning desire to please it's owner.

While a Labrador will always grace my kennel and be ready and willing to do what is asked, I'm looking forward to the challenges and demands and hopefully future success this new (to me) breed will bring.

He is only 2 days old right now, but as I get pics I will certainly post them.

Good Luck!

Ken

Congratulations. My grandfather told stories of a cocker that he had as a boy that was a tremendous pheasant hunting dog. He also was a big fan of Irish and American water spaniels. He even talked about bird hunting with an Aerdale. Times have changed.

Like you, I am a big lab guy, but I have hunted over some very good Springers and if the cocker's enthusiasm is anything like theirs, you are going to have a blast with him. With the way duck hunting is going, it seems that I do it less and less and have aleady contemplated a spaniel for my next dog as well.

Boilerguy... I may have to bring the 11 month old Lab down and shoot a couple rooties... I've not gotten to the point where I can honestly say that the old dogs may not ride along and sneak out for a quick hunt or two... grin.gif

I got pics of Mom and Dad today... I'll post them up when I have a few more minutes...

Good luck!

Ken

JDM, I too hunt less and less waterfowl, still love to do it, just don't have the time to scout like I would need to, so It's down to the opener, a trip to SoDak and maybe a late season Mallard hunt... I have a cabin up north and would like to do more grouse hunting, this dog should fit the bill... grouse and a couple of good hard core trips to SoDak for pheasants... the Lab and the Cocker can split the duties out there...

The man who taught me to hunt had pics of a couple of Cockers he had in the late 40's and early 50's. They had piles of pheasants... he said bar none, they were the best dogs he ever owned... he treied other breeds through the 60's after it was getting tougher to find a working Cocker and was never really happy. He never owned another dog after that. That always stuck with me. The gentleman I am buying my dog from swears they are the same tempement and ability of those from years ago. They are bred down from lines that were not bastardized by the show folks. I've kicked this around seriously for a couple years and now it's coming to fruition...

Good Luck!

Ken

When I was a kid back in the very early 60's,my dad would hunt over a pair of cocker spaniels.They were both excellant pheasant dogs.They were great on both the flush and the retrieve.They were both larger then the cockers that are around now as a house pet.One was solid black male and the other was buff colored female.We had many litters of pups out of them over the years.Kind of wish I had one now.They were fun to hunt over.

These ones here will also be larger than what we think of when we here 'Cocker'. Both parents are in the low-mid 30 pound range and stand +/- 2" higher than the standard. Their coats are nothing like the fluffly flowing coats of the show dogs either and they have a 'working' muzzle.

Lots of English Cockers out there hunting, but I myself have never seen an American Cocker hunt other than on video.

Good Luck!

Ken

Atta boy Labs. Just want to be the first to offer my services to help you design your new license plate shocked.gif Got our little machine back from Greg last weekend. Going to be fun watching her in action this fall.

No Jeff Thompson out in Pennsylvania. Kind of a fluke how I found him...

Bryce, don't worry the plates are still gonna remain the same! Not replacing the labs, just tryin out what I hope to be a great little grouse dog, and give the wife her house dog all in one package. My dog is still out at Greg's... told him I'm picking her up mid-November ready or not. I don't think he's too fired up about me hunting her, but that is her number one priority. She's been giving him some headaches, 1st on the FF and now on the CC. Hiopefully everything falls into place.

Good Luck!

Ken