• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

monster kohlrabi (pic included)

Steve Foss

Yeah, folks, I know there are people who call themselves vegetable gardeners who have never grown or eaten kohlrabi. A member of the cabbage family, the kohlrabi has only one application. You eat it sliced raw, either on a salad or as a munching veggie. If you cook it, it tastes like an old shoe.

This one (yes, you savvy anglers will see I had the dude hold it way out in front of him to make it look REALLLLLYYY BIGGGGG) actually measured nine inches in diameter. Kohlrabi growers will know instantly that such a large specimen is considered unusual.

But this variety is noted for its size, sweetness and lack of fiber. Kohlrabi can get pretty stringy and pithy, and most are smaller than a baseball. This variety is called Kossack, and the gardener in this picture had a whole bed of that variety up here outside Ely this summer. Almost all of them got as big as the one in the picture. He gave this one to me, and I can testify to the fact that there was NO PITH! Yikes! It was the most sweet, wet and firm kohlrabi I've ever eaten, and I've been munching them for almost 40 years.

kohlrabi.jpg

Many years ago when I worked in newspaper, the police scanner buzzed with a report from a woman who said that "boys were throwing kohlrabi at her house." I always wondered how she was able to determine that in the dark.

Last year my garden got away from me including the weeds blush.gif. The kohlrabi got huge. I'd bring one home and the wife would boil it up like potatoes and mash them like mashed potatoes. Don't know what seasoning she put in it but boy it was delicious! Forgot to plant them this year tho.