• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What fall maintenance for irrigation?

Powerstroke

Powerstroke, the only thing that you should be concearned with is getting all of the water out of your system. I do mine myself because I installed the system and I know how to do it. I use an air compressor and attach the hose inside my basement. You probably have a backflow preventer of some type on the outside of your house. This is where you could hook the air up to. You should have a compressor with a tank big enough to build up some pressure. Just turn it on and set it to 60lbs. or so. That is approx. city water pressure and you shouldn't go higher than that. Let the compressor build up pressure to 60lbs. and then turn an your zones with the controller one at a time until you are only getting air out of your heads. You will have to turn on each zone more than once to get all the water out. When you are done make sure the valve in your basement cannot be accidentaly opened so water does not get out to your system and freeze during the winter. An easier option would be to have someone do it for you the first year and watch how they do it. Around 100 bucks I think. It's really easy to do once you know how. Hope this helps!

Here's another question to go along with that. I have a 220 pump that I pump lake water with for my sprinkler system. In the 5 years I've been running it, I always disconnect the pump, drain it very well and put the pump in the basement for the winter.

In the spring, 3 out of the 5 years the pump has been froze up. Tapping on the pump housing with a hammer free's it up but how do I avoid this?

Is there an additive I can spray in the pump to keep it from rusting or seizing? What's the best product?

Thanks,

ccarlson

I am one of the guys who chooses the "easy route". I have the guy who installed my system come over and blow it out, check all the heads, etc. He charges $45, which means I'm basically paying a few dollars a month to ensure my irrigation system functions properly every spring.

These guys have explained pretty well. Obviously you need to get the water out before it freezes. If you have a well system or a city water system it shouldn't matter much. Shut off inside, hook up air to blowout point, run through each zone (if doing yourself, I'd do it twice.) and then turn your controller off. What I tell my customers that want to do it themselves is to pay it one year, so you can see how it should be done then you can do it yourself in the future. Its nothing that couldn't be done yourself but with a small compressor it could take hours depending on how large the system is and for a small fee it can save a large amount of money if its not done correctly.

Putting the pump in the basement is not nessasary. In fact putting it in the basement you asking for RUST to develope. In the warm environment of your basement you are promoting the pump to start rusting. All you need to do to winterize your pump is to disconect the suction pipe and take the plug out that is located near the bottom of the pump housing to drain ALL the water from the pump housing. I would also leave it connected to the system. Also put a piece of duct tape over the suction opening or plug it to prevent critters from getting into the pump or putting things into the pump. If you get all the water out of the pump sitting outside in the cold will not damage the pump and the cold weather hinders the process of RUST. I have worked on irragation pumps for 15 years and leaving them sit outside has never been a problem.