• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

94 Indy 500

AF-1984

I just got this sled this summer from a buddy of mine. Didnt pay much for it and it is my first sled, so its not perfect. Have a question for any gearheads out there.

The sled starts great and runs great. Although, I cannot just gun it. The sled bogs down if you just gun the throttle. I have to "feather" the rpm's up to about the 4 range or so, before the sled will move. After the rpm's are up though, it takes off great. Just wondering what could be the problem.

Also, is this worth fixing or just let it be?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Quote:

I would do a thurough cleaning of the carbs and check out the needles. Sound like one of the jets could be cloged.

Yeah, I would definitely say you need to clean the carbs since you say it is bogging down. If that does not solve your problem I would check out the spring in the primary clutch to see if it is broken. Either of these two problems are relatively inexpensive to fix, so yes I would say it is worth it to fix.

Yep. I'm going to agree with these other guys on the dirty carbs.

Take them apart, clean 'em out, and get some fresh gas too!

If you continue to run the sled with this condition, you'll burn it down pretty quick. Trust me, the problem will not "work" itself out. It may be running better at high speeds but its likely running lean as well. You'll end up with a major engine rebuild.

Simple carb cleaning and you'll be good to go.

Are you letting the engine warm up enough? I also have a 94 EFI and mine does the same thing, but only for a few minutes after I first start it. Like you said, you kind of have to get the R's up there to get it to move at first, but after that mine starts and stops great, no bogging down at all.

You'll like that sled simply for the fact that it starts on the second pull EVERY time. But make sure if the temp outside is going to get below 0, take that battery out or it will freeze. It's a pain in the arse but those batteries are $50 a pop.

Just fyi, you should let a liquid cooled sled warm up at idle a minimum of 5 minutes. 5-10 is a good bet. If you don't when you take off the motor builds up heat rapidly and then the thermostat opens up bringing in very cold liquid which contracts the metal and can cause the piston to scuff the cylender walls. Dealers see lots of motors ruined by this every year.

One other thing to look at would be your primary clutch. You might want to have someone replace the roller bearings as they could be worn out. I had a similar experiance with a Indy 500. Rebuilt the clutch and she was good as new.