• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripley What to look for

DRH1175

What type of cover have you veterans of the hunt found most productive for seeing Numbers of deer? I am trying to pin point a few spots to narrow my search down on the areial photos. Do they prefer hills, Swamps, water, oak, aspen what would a firstimer look for to get started?

To be honest ive hunted both the hilly areas and the bottom brushy thick stuff , some years different areas are better than others. The thing i would keep in mind is that deer will be pushed by other hunters and the bucks should be in or around rut. I personally like to hunt on the edge of thicker cover. It seems to be all good at ripley , but in years past i have noticed areas where there hasnt been any other hunters ,then the action can be slow. If you can find an area left alone but close to other hunters then you should have the time of your life.

What do you usually do. I was thinking of driving in about 20 miles. Then walking in a ways on a trail. from there heading straight in till I find something that looks traveled by the deer. There I will set up my Summit and sit the day out. Out of the whole place where would you head. Looking at the big map I just got what would stick out as a place to start? I appreciate all the help I am going alone and this will be my first hunt. I will share where and how I did.

I would pick a place that has some oaks they seem to like acorns. Try to get in and set up fast I have been almost run over while setting up my deer stand. Your going to run into people every where just about and it gets old but you will find a spot. Dont be on of the craby people that yells when someone just walks by and is going farther into the woods. Remember they will come out and could push the deer too you. If you can find a map try to pick an area and have a game plan before you get there. My group has settle on two areas to try and we hope to be able to hunt around them good luck.

Don't be one of those people either who let you wander onto "their" ridge, find a great scrape line, pick out a tree, drop your stand, unhook your cables, tie on your draw string, AND THEN DECIDE TO WISTLE.... the guy was within 50 yards and very well hidden... I was a little upset the goofball didn't wistle when I first started poking around his spot so I could have been on my way. I'm very courteous about hitting my grunt call or letting out a little wistle to passerbyes. Its nice for them to know and not leave scent all around your shooting lanes.

The best spots is to find the thickest brush or woods, When theres pressure they will find and seek the thickest of all. Don't matter if it's the pre rut or if you see signs try to setup up near thick cover. Thats what I did 2 yrs ago and shot a pretty decent 9 pointer, hope this helps.

I hear ya there too gorrila i figure if they let me get my stand up its to late for them, but so many times i was just headed deeper into the woods and they start yelling at you to get out of woods. I like to get back in there a ways and sit all day. These guys who set up next to the road and then have a fit when i come walking by to bad so sad. I can walk back into the woods and hunt if i want too and i do. I dont set up near them because they were there first but I can go another 200 yards or more into the woods and hunt. I always let them know i am just passing by.