• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atvs over 900 lbs.

DamnJosee

Yup, I've heard about it. We own a resort on Lake Vermilion and use our side-by-side Polaris Ranger all day long, and have to travel down the county road a little ways several times a day. We are now allowed to drive this vehicle on this road without risk of ticketing. The rule states we have to have one of those yield/slow moving vehicle triangles on the back of the machine though. Our neighbors also have a Ranger and they confirmed that we can drive them on the roads now. Not that you would want to all that much (not good on the tires). Not sure how the rule is written though. If it's for side-by-side vehicles only, or all ATV's. I guess if it did allow ATV's you would have to have one of those big old yield signs on the back too. If weight is the deciding factor, is there even an ATV out there that gross's over 900lbs, besides the UTV's?

Ely,

Take it easy. He apparently didn't see the sarcasm in your initial post. It's too easy to read into your last post as being a little more arrogant than needed.

I ride township roads and ditches, during the legal operating months, on a regular basis because that's about all I have around me.

The problem with riding in roadways is the majority of ATV accidents with serious injury or death occurr in the Right-of-Way. Both from operators losing control of the machine on the loose terrain, but also because they get hit by cars.

Getting hit by cars may have a few reasons behind this. Many people in cars may feel that ATV's don't belong on ROW's, thus continue on with no discretion as to what the next move by the ATV operator may be. They also may decide to pass ATV because most ATV's are not doing 60 mph down a road.

The ATV riders on the other hand, legal or not, may feel that if anyone is approaching from the rear, they should yield the right-of-way.

Now combine the train of thought in both scenarios and this equals disaster.

As a DNR instructor, you can imagine how frustrating it is to see someone tooling down a "County Road" without the proper registration, let alone safety apparel. Township or legal forest roads are not a problem as long as the rider is riding responsibly. I have stopped to talk to people on numerous occasions because they are riding illegally or irresponsibly. Although they don't have to stop because I'm not a CO, most do and are open to what I have to say.

Myself and many others in this forum take our privilege to ride seriously, so you can understand the response you received.

DS

Lep,

Don't get me wrong, I am all for riding responsibly, legally, and safe.

I think that sometimes these rules/laws even though they are state laws, should be more area specific. Actually county specific according to population and area would be even better. The reason I think this is because there is a drastic difference between the northern part of the state compared to the big cities and even compared to the cornfields of SW MN. To go even farther, I think that there is more likely to be an accident on some "country road" near the big city than there would be on busier roads up here. Part of that being do to the fact that, not to stereotype, but people up north take their time a bit more, look for atv's, sleds in the winter and are just more alert to those type of surroundings. Compared to most people people in the cities having the "hurry up and get out of my way" mentality, which I saw every day while living in the cities for a short while.

Just my opinion, wink.gif

Ryan

Quote:

Part of that being do to the fact that, not to stereotype, but people up north take their time a bit more, look for atv's, sleds in the winter and are just more alert to those type of surroundings. Compared to most people people in the cities having the "hurry up and get out of my way" mentality, which I saw every day while living in the cities for a short while.

Just my opinion,
wink.gif

Ryan

I was over in the Nemadji State Forest for the past week with my ATV and we were driving on LEGAL forest roads posted for ATV's, doing slightly above the posted speed limit of 30 MPH, at this time some joker flies past us doing mach 80. To me there is no excuse for that, but riding an ATV is a priviledge so there's not much I can do.

I can tell you guys this, I have lived in WBL for two years now and have never seen an ATV on the road. The other 40 years of my life have been spent between western MN (farm country, gravel roads) and central ND (ranch country, gravel roads). More than once I have had to make emergency moves to keep from hitting ATVs on the road.

Yes, there is a difference between the non country here and farm country. People here don't die on their ATVs because they where riding where they aren't supposed to. Sorry if I come off harsh on this but I have a personal reason to keep ATV's off of the roads.

Quote:

I must add that since I moved to the cities I've never rounded a corner or crested a hill and had to hit the ditch to avoid killing someone on an ATV that was in the middle of the road.

I have never had that experience in the city either but those pedal bikes can cause headaches on the roadway. Once again it is not everybody who rides/drives that is a problem, just a select few jerks ruining it for the good people.

Quote:

I have never had that experience in the city either but those pedal bikes can cause headaches on the roadway. Once again it is not everybody who rides/drives that is a problem, just a select few jerks ruining it for the good people.

That was put very well.