• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Scrambler

fishtrap3

Looking for a wheeler that my son can use and I could use to pull light fishhouse and gear on lake. Would this fit the bill. I have heard some say they have problems with them and others that say they are a great machine. Anyone have one? Any comments on them or other machines I should look at. OH my son is 14 so he wants a sport machine but we are on limited budget and it would have to be dual purpose!

The Scrambler has no low range, and no racks stock, so in my opinion it is not a good wheeler for your interests.The used Suzuki Vinson in the classifieds would fit the bill perfectly, and has a plow,winch,auger holder,ect...It must be like new with only 47 miles on it also! I know you mentioned the cost, but you could possibly get some good deals at a dealer on year end close outs at this time of year.Good Luck!

sorry for a delayed response as I have been on vacation. I own a 2004 Scrambler 4x4 that I race harescrambles with, pull my ice house, and plow my driveway. It does them all and havent had any issues. Yes they offer both front and rear racks, a hitch and plows for the scrammy.

My dad has a 2000 and 2001. They have all been trouble free.

They are some what outdated and maintenance is the key. Some think its too much work to grease the grease zerks and spray chain lube etc. I dont have a problem with it and I im usually going over my machine before and after races anyway so it doesnt bother me.

They are really in a class by themselves. A little sport, and little utility, best of both worlds in my opinion.

Downfall is they are heavy. I would recomend a gen3 or higher machine as they seem to be a little more reliable in my opinion.

The scrambler is also solid axle and not irs but there are pros and cons to both.

Other machines to look at would be a yamaha wolverine. Wolverine is a good machine but it doesnt have the power that the scrammy has so that might be a little better for your son to get used to. It also an automatic like the scrambler. It would be a fine puller and plower but probably not as sporty.

Top speed on the scrammy is 66mph and you can pull the front wheels right off the ground. That maybe be a little too much for your son but thats up to you haha.

I would recomend just going to each dealer and trying the different machines out. I cant really think of any other sport/ute maybe a brute force, or prairie those are some pretty quick utes.

good luck with your search.