• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Myself and three other boats are making the swing to Lk MI next week and coming into this trip pretty green, I have a few questions I need help with.

As I have read some of the prev posts, I'm glad to here that downriggers are a plus. Being primarily a walleye fisher, I don't have a clue what baits or tackle to start with(because I have none)hehe. I expect we'll find a nice little corner in the local tackle shop to spend a few bucks in but I need a kick in the right direction on what to get. Coming from NW MN off a good sized inland lake I can say that I've seen some pretty big water and I'm curious on how our boat will handle that big lake. We all have Lund Baron 21.5's and are hoping that will be enough--is it ever enough!!

Next question, is there any walleye around the Algoma area. We'd be willing to drive a little ways to kill a day if there was any to be had. Thanks in adv. for any help. Good Luck, and Good Fishin!!

Reefer, First of all you are going to have a blast.

A couple tips I maybe able to lend you. On your downrigger rods be sure to have large spools of a minimum of 12# test.

You will be broken off and may be spooled on anything else.

I run 17# mono when out there.

Pick up a Great Lakes Angler magazine at your local shop for reading on the way there, always tons of good articles on Michigan Kings and a plethura of baits to look at and decide what may be in your best interest. Before hitting the tackle shop take a stroll along the charter docks and check out what they are running. May not work for you but might give you a good idea of what colors and presentations to get started with. Glow spoons are a must! Along with flasher/fly presentations (if new to fly's keep your leader between the Flasher & Fly between 21-23 inches, anything over will not give the fly enough action to entice the kings.) We had luck with weighted lines off of yellow birds. Roughly 4 ounces with a 6' lead to the baits. This will get you started, fire back with more questions if you have them.

Don't worry your Baron should handle just fine out there, my 22 may have rocked but didn't jump out of the water like my buddies 32' on the motor out. Make sure you have Marine Radio's and check boater regulations to be sure you have the proper safety equipment on board for being on Lake Michigan. If it looks bad, it probably is, don't take chances. 2 years ago while we were out 2 16' boats went down in the rough seas.(luckily no one was hurt)

That should get you started anyways and I am sure there will be plenty more replies.

Make sure you stop at the pizza bowl and tell the bartender that Marshall says Hi! smirk.gif

A lot of guys run out there in 18-20 ft boats no biggy. The fishing is mostly early morning or late evening so that tends to help. I ran out there with my 16 ft crestliner and I never had any issues (Our group had bigger boats along I could have got in with if the weather was worse). Most of the fish lately have been caught on dipseys flasher fly combo's so I'd at least set up one for each side. You need to run those on low strech lines mono will not work so well. I'd run glow fly's in the dark and try a few differant colors during the day. Same with the spoons glow in the dark and experiment during the day.

A lot of guys run j-plugs as well, in our group only a couple guys had them out but they did catch fish.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It should bring me a little closer to what to expect out there. Nothing was said about the walleye fishing, though. Do these salmon bite troughout the day, or is it primarily a dust-dawn bite? Hooking up to the boat tonight, so the countdown is slowly coming to an end. I can't wait to snap that first fish. Thanks again for the help!!

Fished out of Sheboygan the past couple of days. We had our best luck running spoons behind Dipsy Divers out away from the boat 25 feet down in 40-50 feet of water. Only got one fish behind a rigger. There was a big tourney out of Sheboygan the days before we fished there so that might account for the fishing being kind of spooky.

Just pay attention to the marine forecast, don't do anything stupid and you will be okay