• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Setter Guy - need a new setter

Harmonica Bear

Setter Guy,

I had the very unfortunate and traumatic event of putting my English down over the 4th. Suddenly I am setterless. Not good... (very bad for the mental health). I would like to get some info as to what is out there puppy-wise, as I haven't looked for quite a while. My last dog was a female, Ryman line orange belton from Setters West in Montana. They have nothing available until Spring. I would prefer the same line, but a guy has to leave his options open and look around. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I am looking at two pups.

Thanks in advance,

You can e-mail me privately if needed. [email protected]

HB

[Please read forum policy regarding links]

Scott Berg has great english setter and red setter pups. I just talked to him yesterday and he has a litter of both coming soon and there might be some started eight month old english setters avliable. Scott knows more about setters than anybody I know and his pups are priced reasonable.

I have one of his english setters and I am thinking about getting one of his red setters.

Actually the dog in my avitar is one of Scotts Dogs, and most likely the sire to his current litter of white dogs. He is a very knowledgable dog man, and would be worth at least talking to to get information before purchasing a pup.

2thepoint...I have two red setters from Scott...I will be running a litter through one if not both in the next year (likely have one bred Feb07). Both are out of his female Dolly. Let me know if you are interested in a pup next spring. Chances are I would be breeding to a Berg Bros produced red setter stud dog too.

I will also attest that Scott has VERY nice setters...Red and White ones.

Quote:

2thepoint...I have two red setters from Scott...I will be running a litter through one if not both in the next year (likely have one bred Feb07). Both are out of his female Dolly. Let me know if you are interested in a pup next spring. Chances are I would be breeding to a Berg Bros produced red setter stud dog too.

I will also attest that Scott has VERY nice setters...Red and White ones.

I am interested. Because I will not be ready to take one of Scotts pups during hunting season this year, so next winter would be better. I drive 500 miles everyweekend during pheasant season and trying to take a 8 week old pup would be difficult.

Do you hunt up north for grouse? I would love to see one his red setters in action.

Quote:

I do a lot of grouse hunting in the fall. I will be up north of Nashwauk Oct 8th/9th. Then up around Northhome/Mizpah Oct 20th/21st/22nd. Might make a couple day trips up around Mora this fall too.

Maybe I will get a chance to look at your red setters on October 8th or 9th. I will contact you when October is a little closer. (The first and second weeks of October are probably the best time to hunt grouse up here. Last year I put up 20 grouse in four hours the weekend before the Minnesota pheasant season)

I think I put up around 50 birds total last year. That was one of my dogs first grouse seasons, so I was pretty happy to come into contact with that many birds (grouse and woodcock). She was only 10 months.

I will get in touch before that trip. We will be staying in a cabin on Bear Lake. Im actually going up there today (for the weekend) with all the dogs.