• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mountain Bike for large frame (fat guy)

Looking for a dependable and relatively inexpensive bike for a large person (300lbs)I have looked at the cheapo's at wal mart and am just not comfortable with a bike like that. I'm also on the taller side being 6'3 so a 26 frame is almost a little small. also needs to be economical as in 250 or less.

IHRS,

I think you are right in not going the cheapo route. I would recommend going to a bike shop as a first place to look, especially given your body type. A reputable bike shop should be able to get you fitted. I'm way down in Rochester,MN so I did a little internet investigating. I couldn't find anything in regards to a bike shop in Crookston listed, but not too far away in Grand Forks, ND is a store called The Ski & Bike Shop you might want to check out. They have a web site so can research them a bit, maybe give them a call or just drive over. I noticed they carry both the Trek and Giant line of bikes. I'm not that familiar with Giant line, but you should be able to find a entry level Trek for the price range you are looking for.

In the Trek mountain bike line you'd probably be looking at either the 3500 or 3700, possibly the 3900. The main difference between the 3500 and the 3700 is the 3700 has a front suspension system and the 3500 has no suspension system. If your mainly riding paved trails the 3500 should suit you just fine, but if your venturing out a bit the 3700 may be nice. Both of these models I think should be about in your price range. If your looking to go the full suspension route Trek's entry level bike is the Y26, but then your looking at a price of a bit over $400.

Good luck in you shopping.

Andy

IHRS-

Down to Earth has some great advice. I've done a fair amount of mountain biking and have gone through a couple of bikes. I also agree on the cheapo route, bad idea. might save $$ on the bike, but will ware out in a hurry. One thing I found when looking at bikes how long they are. I'm a bigger guy as well, 6'1" 230, and a lot of bikes are too short (length wise) to be comfortable for me. Trek and Giant are great bikes but are too short for me. I always feel like I'm eating my knees when I ride them. Specialized and Bianchi are brands that have longer geometry and fit my frame much better. Bianchi's are a little spendier, might be tough to find one in the price range you're looking for. Like Down to Earth said, any good bike shop will get you set up with what you need. My 2 cents...

ERW

I'm looking to upgrade from my Fleet Farm Schwinn. Checked out a bike shop in Brainerd, the first bike they showed me was a carbon fiber bike that sold for $5000. I ended up test riding a hybred, Trek 720 or 7200 I believe that sold for $369. Does anyone know anything about that model? I ride mostly on pavement 10-15 miles at a time.