• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

invisible fence?

Blackshack!

I am look at getting a invisible fence for the dog and I was wonder if anyone had good luck with either petsafe or innotek brands? any pro's or con's with either of the two brands? or if there is another brand that you would suggest?

thanks Mark

I have the petsafe system. It works really good. I just used an edger that I trim my side walk with and then stepped it down. I have had it for just over 2 years without any issues.

I have Petsafe as well. Love it. Installed it about 4 years ago. Had a lightening issue last year and they replaced it for nothing.( I should have had a suppressor,have one now) othewise no problems.

"hooks"

We just had Petsafe install our fence two weeks ago. Maggie has taken to it great.

After comparing Invisible Fence and Petsafe, Petsafe was $600 less expensive to get all the same features with Invisible Fence. Also for us Petsafe is local and Invisible Fence was not. To me it was a no brainer.

Most interesting thing about training Maggie was that the first week she could not be outside not on a leash. During that week our yard was infested with Chipmunks. Maggie has been having a blast reclaiming her yard.

So far I have heard nothing but good things about the system in general and Petsafe in particular.

I had Invisible fence put in 5 years ago, and the total was less than $600, have their prices gone up that much?

As for testimony....Best $575 I have ever spent...let the dog out, and no need to worry. Had a problem with it last year, and they came and ran the wire entirely around my yard=no cost. Was happy about that.

My dog runs collarless 90% of the time. About 2x a year, we have to put the collar on to "give him a reminder"

I would put in electric again in a heartbeat!

The thing that keeps me away from an invisible fence is the fact that...yes...it will likely keep my dogs in, but it will not keep other dogs out. With two females whom have great breeding potential I do not want to take that chance.

jbdragon,

I understand the fact that the fence will not keep other dogs out, would you please explain more about of what you mean by "you would rather not take the chance"? I do not mean anything negative, just trying to get another perspective.

"hooks"

I thought I posted on this topic earlier but it must not of went through, anyways, invisible fences works great. I bought one 4 years ago(Pet Safe) at Kmart on clearence and installed it myself, but for the reasons posted above I am having a real fence installed. I'm tired of standing guard when I let my dog out. When she's in heat, she attracts every dog in the neibhorhood.

I have innotek and the dogs for the most part stay in the yard. They do get some courage and run threw, but I hear them yelp everytime so i just go outside and call them back, but makes it so I have to kennel them everytime we leave.

Parents have invisible fence at their cabin and they get the courage and run threw that too. So either way they run threw but innotek was about 600 cheaper. And the collars are a lot cheaper if you need to add one.

We're on our third Invisible Fence (Brand = Invisible Fence). We had one dog go through once, but the collars are adjustable. The warning to shock lead time and power was adjusted and we have not had that problem again. Neither dog pushes it.

We had a wireless transmitter purchased at Fleet Farm that was supposed to make an area around it safe. I believe it was a 150' diameter. The poor dog got zapped at random when in the safe area. It went back to the store right away.

Installed the fleet farm version many years back and with a little training the dog has been perfect. She knows that if the collar is off her she can roam but most the time the system is off and with just a collar on you will find her just sitting 6 feet from the edge of the yard when you come back from the neighbors house. Funny note I worked at fleet and had a guy come in that wanted to keep a skunk out of his yard. He told me he researched a few ideas and had his mind set on getting the invisible fencing type of product and I couldnt tell him any different. After a little laugh on my part I finally got it through to him that it would work to keep the skunk out but you would have to put the collar on the skunk! I would hate to see what other projects he has "done some research on".

frown.gif

thanks to all that replied, I have chosen the brand that I am getting and it is in the mail. ( sportdog ) with doing some research I have found out that sportdog and petsafe are the same( company) but sportdog is cheaper.

Mike in lino, I have thought about the wireless type but it won't work in my yard.

thanks Mark