• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frontline & Heartguard prices!!!

Ufatz

My wife just returned home with a three month supply of Frontline and a package of Heartguard. Total bill was for $88!! Is there an on-line source for this stuff that is less expensive? Seems a bit steep to me, but we are relatively new to MN. I like my vet just fine, but I don't want him to build his 401K just on MY checkbook!

Best price on frontline is through the site metrojoe mentioned, interpret.biz. It's an Australina company and is way cheaper than any vet supply in the US, takes about 8 days to get it, but only cost around 5 bucks to ship.

On the topic of Heartworm prevention, if you want to waste a lot of money keep buying heartguard at $5+ a pill. You can give the exact same dosage/same active ingredient yourself for the entire life of your dog compared to buying one 6 pack of heartguard tabs. Just go to Fleet Farm and go into the large animal section and look for Ivomec 1% Ivermectin injectible wormer(make sure it's not Ivomec Plus which is bad for Collies), they usually come in 50 ml bottles and cost between 25-35 bucks. Give your dog orally 1/10 of a ml per 15 lbs of body weight. So a 75 lb dog would get 1/2 of a ml. Give it to your dog once every 45 days. I usually just take a syringe and pull in 1/2 ml of Ivomec and then mix in 1/2 ml of some sort of juice that is in the fridge, then squirt in the dog's mouth. Ivomec is bitter by itself so the juice helps the dogs like the taste. A 50 ml bottle (that costs $35) yields about 100 doses. A 6 pack of heartguard is around $35. Pretty simple math. The active ingredient in Heartguard is Ivermectin, just look it up.

I should also note that some syringes are measured in cc's. One cc is the same as one ml. We've been doing this for 20+ years in our kennel and have never had any sign of heartworm.