• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Today's male hummer (five pics included)

Steve Foss

Yes, nice is just how I would describe it. Nice, but nothing great. So I waited until the sun dropped lower and headed back outside. A few minutes later, the sun bathed a 10-inch section of the branch the hummer was using for a perch, and a few seconds later he landed and decided to be a model.

Amazing the difference between the first image and the rest. What a difference a slight angle of reflected sun can make. The background is shaded lilac bushes with fading blooms, thus the gray/violet/spruce bokeh.

left-profile-black.jpg

head-on-brilliant.jpg

turned-back-brilliant.jpg

wings-up-brilliant.jpg

Wow, stunning shots. I can't even recall seeing one just sitting on a perch like that. They always seem to be moving. Pat yourself on the back Steve.

Thanks, DBL.

Hummers will perch a lot, especially if you put a perch near a nectar feeder, say within about five or six feet. Many nectar feeders don't have perches incorporated with them, so that may be why hummers always seem to be hovering to feed. On mine, which has perches, they sit at least half the time, but only if they're fairly relaxed and not threatened.

Also, flowers don't come with built-in perches, and that makes the birds hover, too. Once a hummer stops flying and sits there on a branch, it can be hard to spot. No buzz for the ear, no movement for the eye to follow.

I'd noticed the hummers (or maybe it's a single male) prefer a certain spot on the bog aspen twig I'd mounted there. Before I put that up, there were a couple preferred perches in the tree next to the feeder, but I couldn't depend on where they'd land there, so out came the branch. grin.gif

The perch was a bit over five feet from me, and the feeder was between me and the perch, about a foot and a half from me, while I was waiting for these shots. At one point, a hummer came in and didn't even seem bothered that the tip of my lens was a foot from him while he ate nectar. He fed for about 20 seconds before perching and modeling for me. Darn, who'd have thought I should have brought out a macro lens to be able to focus close enough. blush.gif