• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

canadian tiger swallowtails (4macros)

there must have been 25-30 of these flying around the beach this morning chasing each other around ...they'd land and cluster together(called "Puddling" males only thing) sometimes 7 or 8 at a time(looking for liquids during the mating time)...neat to watch........and of course I had both of my cameras.... grin.gifjonny

may27th098-1.jpg

DSCF4921-1copy.jpg

DSCF4923-1-1copy.jpg

the "underside" of their wings:

DSCF4925-1copy.jpg

Nice stuff Jonny. Most macro work is done with a very shallow depth of field to isolate the subject from the background/foreground, but that obviously would not have worked here, and you did well to get all three butterflies in focus.

What makes it a Canadian tiger swallowtail?

Thanks all!....Guess I really learned something this year in regards to the swallowtails.if you want pics of em.go down to any wet sandy beach area this next week or so...the males congregate there ...not to say that's the only place obviously but today I went again to another lake for some panfishing.........and there they were! shocked.gifon the wet sandy area again....but...already had enough pics of the little guys!.....Steve...as far as why I called it a "canadian" swallowtail.it's in my butter fly field guide grin.gif...it could be a regular old tiger swallowtail but the one in the book I have(by Larry Weber,"Butterflies of the Northwoods)looks "exactly" like a canadian tiger swallowtail but i guess there's so many species of tiger swallowtails I certainly could be wrong tongue.gif...jonny grin.gif

Jonny, if you made your ID out of one of the Weber series, then it's gold as far as I'm concerned. I've got a couple of those (not the butterflies one, but that's on my list), and there are no better guides for the Northland. One exception: Mammals of the Great Lakes by Larry Kurta puts all the other mammal guides to shame for our region. Well, I don't know that Weber has a mammals guide out, anyway.

Good work! grin.gif