• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MWT on the St. Croix River

Hey Guys,

Well, I am sitting at the weigh-in site at the Lake Side Park in Bayport enjoying a great morning. We eased all 75 boats off at 7:00 this morning. Looks to be a great day to be on the water.

I would like to invite everyone out here for the weigh-in today. Sounds like a good bite happening out there. All boats need to be back by 3:00. Hope to see you here!

PoleBender

Hi Guys,

I am working on the results right know. Should be up on www.polebender.com by noon. Photos will have to wait till next weekend. Job keeps getting in the way!

61 out of 75 teams weighed fish. That's the most teams ever. The winning team had twin sisters weighing over 7 lbs each.

PoleBender

Tournament Report...my partner and I both fished the St. Croix for the first time...what a great body of water! During prefishing we struggled to find a consistant bite as we tried trolling cranks, jigging and rigging. On our last day of prefishing we were able to find a bite three-waying with crawlers. Sunday morning came and we only had two spots that we thought we could count on. We knew that our first spot was holding numerous fish, but not the size of fish that it would take to finish well in the tournament. Our plan was to fish this spot first for 2 hours to try and put some fish in the box. When we got to our spot we were the only boat there. Usually plans don't work this well, but during the first 2 hours we were able to put 6 fish in the box that were between 15 and 17 inches. After this it was time to go looking for the big kickers that would put us in the money. We moved to our other spot that we knew was holding good fish. On our first pass I caught a 27 1/4"....we knew it looked good to cash a check at this point. We continued to work this area for the rest of the day and at 1:30 my partner banged another 27 1/4". At 2:20 we caught our last fish, another 17" that allowed us to cull a smaller fish. This was the first time that my partner and I have won a tournament. It was a great feeling.

All of our fish were caught 3 waying crawlers with all of the fish being caught between 18 and 24 feet of water. Hopefully this will help anyone else trying the St. Croix in the days to come.

Crawlerking.... Nice job on the Croix yesterday,that limit would win most tourneys out here.Hats off to you and your partner.We have seen more big fish out here this year than ever before,I have a feeling it is due in part to more catch and release of those fish in the 20inch range by more sensible fisherman.Hope the trail comes back next year,looks like a well run event..

Thanks guys....a couple of great things about fishing in tournaments is that you get to learn new bodies of water and you are "forced" to learn new techniques. Fishing 3-ways is something that I don't do on most bodies of water, but it certainly was very effective for us on the St. Croix. Another thing about fishing tournaments is that you get to meet a lot of great people who share the same passion of chasing the oftentimes elusive walleye!

Definitely congrats to you and your fishing partner...it was a sweep for you with the win and two big fish. You did the same to us last year with the big fish on Pool 4, too. I'm gonna have to start following your boat around! Kidding.

Way to go.