• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I haven't been on it personally but family lives on the lake and I know a lot of people in the area that say fishing has been slow and the water temp is still quite cold. One would think that the crappies should start snapping sometime soon in the shallows. I haven't heard any bass reports but I have always done good early in the year by working plastics REAL slow or using a shallow running suspending jerk bait such as a rouge, husky jerk, or X rap over weedy flats.

Give us a report if you get out, I'll be back down in that area for a couple days in the near future and plan on getting out for a few hours.

Got down to the lake one day this week. The crappies have not spawned yet. The females still had there eggs, and where still fairly deep. The gills where also deep. All fish where relating to deep weedlines.

My report, posted on another HSOforum:

"Hit the lake at approximately 10:30 Saturday morning, May 6, and quit at about 6 p.m. Put in at the ramp near downtown, no problems.

Caught tons of largies, sometimes in successive casts. Pulled in maybe 13 or 14, all but one casting the docks and shoreline of that north end from the Rt46 ramp until the lake turns up north to Little Balsam. A couple were little bigger than the fluorescent orange Mepps #5 I was tossing at them, but most were good sized. At times, when I was able to, I dragged a crawler harness. Caught one rock bass that way.

After a late lunch at Fox Den, fished the mill pond there and pulled in a HOG (at least 3.5 pounds) right along the road. There, too, a good sized pike hit the same Mepps right at the boat, but spit it out. Unfortunately, I could get no other pike to hit anything. Marked tons of fish everywhere I went, all in the 7 to 12 foot deep range. Drifted across the main part of the lake, dragging my driftsock (windy as hell!) and caught a really nice perch. Returned all to the drink.

Except for the absence of northerns, it was a great day on the lake. Lots of boats out there, but not at all crowded.

What a place! Saw several eagles, including one that picked up something right nearby and proceeded to a tree to dine on his/her catch.

Can't wait for warmer water temps when the pike start a-hittin'

Safe fishing, everyone!!!!!! "

(my report from another site)

Fished lovely old Balsam Lake on Saturday, May 20, from 6:00 a.m. until approximately 4:00 p.m. Camped Friday night at the muni campground. The Holiday store wasn't open at 5:30, much to my surprise. The 46 Store wasn't open until 7:00, either (is he crazy? On a Saturday?) wink.gif Got my bait later at the Sunnyside marina. Always pretty ladies running that place! Lotsa trucks and trailers at the ramp; some oldtimer comin' outta some cafe' told me there was a bass contest and that I'd be "riding the waves" from all the bass boats all day. Hardly. Yeah, there were lots of bassers, but people must think Balsam is a tiny lake that cannot accommodate a large number of boats. It's not. I had no prob's whatsoever in my old alumi Lund. Had it in my mind to catch some pike. Threw everything I could in all my favorite pike places, but did not see a single one. Jointed Rapalas, all manner and variety and size of Mepps 5's, bass spinners, crawler harnesses. I'm not a minnow fisherman, but maybe I gotta get on board with that this early in the year for pike. Boated lots of bucketmouths, some tiny, some big. Was trolling the west shore of Little Balsam just for grins and giggles, pulling a silver/flourescent pink Mepps Syclops and hooked into a huge largie, the biggest of the day. Did a lot of drifting across the large open portions of the lake and pulled in a couple decent sized perch. Had to use my drift sock. Later, while casting a downed tree near a boathouse, caught the biggest rock bass I ever saw! Had to go 1.5 lbs+.

Kinda disappointed at not even seeing a pike on two successive trips to Balsam. Did notice some weed areas starting to emerge, particularly on the north shore from Ward's resort, and on east. Maybe that will help pikin' when they thicken up a bit.

Got a little cool and sprinkled about the time I was putting away a pizza and two Leinie's at the Fox Den. The rain let up and I headed out to the main lake again, but the breeze was now much stiffer and colder. Gotdam northwoods Springs! When's it gonna get warm????? And where the h3ll are my northerns???

Safe fishing to everyone!!!!!

Went to Balsam Lake to visit the family this weekend and this is what I can tell you. The bass are just starting to come of their beds but there are still some fish that have yet to spawn. Crappies are starting to head deeper while large sunfish are in thick during the spawn right now. Remember that these spawning fish are very vulnerable and are the future of a good fishery. I did not get out walleye fishing and have not heard any reports.