• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dew claw question?

fisheyes2002

I just picked up a new pup last saturday and it still has its front dew claws. I talked to the vet and she said if they are not taken off early it is very painful and not nessary to take them off. I am just looking for other opinions on this. I will have her in the field for both grouse and pheasants. I dont want to cause my puppy extra pain but I also dont want them to rip off in the field and cause alot of pain. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My older lab still has his front dew claws and in 12 years of hunting its never been a problem. Just keep those front nails trimmed short and don't worry about it. The vet told me that the surgery is the same if something ever happens as it is now since they didn't come off when new-born. Lots of breeders don't take the fronts off, just the back. Like I said, I was worried about it when I first got him and talked to the vet about taking them off too. He was a big lab guy and told me not to do it and he has proven to be right.

leave 'em. All my labs have them..never had a problem. Actually, guys around my area prefer them. Can't tell you how many times my old lab used them for pulling himself up on ice late in the waterfowl season. Only problem i ever had with them is that they are sharp, cuz they never touch the ground. If the dog likes to paw and you etc-they can scratch. No big deal though.

I had my pups removed after I got him... one tip though.. if you're going to have him / her fixed wait until they do that... that way you don't have to pay to have your dog put out twice for surgery... and it'll be cheaper.

marine_man

I would also agree with not removing them now.If you keep them short and its easy to do,you should never have any problem.I had a pointer that didnt have it done and the vet said it would be very painfull for the dog.I use to run the dog in field trials and hunted it hard and kept them short.Never a problem.

I would also just carry a first aid kit along in your truck while hunting incase one gets torn bad and the vet will be able to tell you what to use.

I would like to thank everyone that responded. It is nice to get other opnions with hard decisions like this. I think for now I am going to leave them on. I am getting her fixed in Aug so if I change my mind I will do it then. Once again thanks everyone and good luck this fall.

My Black Mouth Cur had double dews in the rear. I got them taken off at 3 months. Her back legs were bandaged for a month and a half. Didn't help that she chewed 13 sutures out of each leg.

I had my pups removed after I got him... one tip though.. if you're going to have him / her fixed wait until they do that... that way you don't have to pay to have your dog put out twice for surgery... and it'll be cheaper.

My vet also said It is very painful for the dog. If I remember right he said they have to go in and grind the bone. Other wise the nails will keep coming back. I kept my dogs dew claws on. One pheasant trip his left dew claw was bleeding and sore. I taped it up and we finished the trip with no problems.