• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My first gobble of the season, been tough and have lots of jakes and lots of close calls. It's my 10 year hunting them and have already called in 7 toms for my buddies and finally got out for myself. I remember when I first started hunting turkeys you were lucky to hear a gobble a week and now they are just about everywhere. Now I'm going out with the bow to get the final one.

c5117450.jpg

I've killed so many of them that it's not even fair for me to go out anymore so I give them a chance and take people out to enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I try to hunt those 3 -4 year olds because when they get that old they kind of turn into loners and don't gobble much anymore (my experience) and do lots of strutting. They learn that the hen needs to come to him, those are the one's that you have to learn to pattern and find the roost tree. I've only once shot one on the roost and that bird was my best to date, he would gobble 2 -3 times in the morning, and then go back to sleep until (get this) until 8AM. He was the hardest bird I've ever hunted and could never figure out what happen to him in the morning so I decided to slip in to within shooting distance of tree and wait for him to fly down and that's when I learned he just stayed in the tree way after light. He was 11 1/2" beard and almost 1 1/2" spurs.