• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another pup ?

LovenLifeGuy

I have had my lab for just over a week and he is now 8 1/2 weeks old. He is peeing like crazy! My question is how can I control this? I take the water away at 7pm and he is in the crate around 10pm, he is not having accidents in the crate so I know he can hold it. When out of the crate he has been really good until yesterday. Now he is peeing all the time and three times inside today. The three times today were within a half hour and he also went outside when I caught him in the act confused.gif. I dont get it! Oh, is it common for the pup to sleep most of the day and be up for real short periods of time and back to sleep again?

Thanks everyone who responds, I just want to do this right!

LovenLifeGuy

My pup is now 5 and a half months old. Take them outside every 15 to 20 minutes it seems like a lot but it will save you the frustration of the dog going in the house.

I was also concerned about the amount my pup slept like the vet said they are growing like crazy right now. And as long as they are up and active when they are awake everything should be fine. its amazing how fast they grow morgan started at seven pounds when i got here she is now at 38 pounds

I think you need to focus on letting the dog out often as mentioned, also try to keep it on the same schedule. When the dog does go outside, you need to praise, and praise, and praise some more.

When the dog goes inside, you need to be very firm and scold.

Get the dog familar with certain phrases, "wanna go outside", "go potty" etc. You can only ask so much from a small pup, but I have a feeling it wont be long until your promblem goes away.

I have a 7month old gsp and he was well trained early, not sure how or why, he just figured out early. I think the key was praise when he went outside, and the exact opposite when he went inside.

He will figure it out soon enough. Good luck and remember to have fun!

I have a 5 month old lab and she was basically housetrained at 8 weeks. I would give her a small treat every time she went outside along with alot of praise, as mentioned previously. Every time she went inside, I would stick her nose in it and tell her no. She seemed to figure things out pretty quick.

Also, when she was really young she would sleep for 2 or 3 hours, get up and play for a half an hour and then back to sleep for another 2 or 3 hours. This went on until she was about 10 weeks old and then play time got longer, naps became less frequent.

I think it is all about getting them outside as much as possible. Watch what they are doing. I noticed so many things lead to my pup having to pee. He would play...then pee. Eat...then pee. Drink...then pee. Nap...then pee. I also noticed different body language which lead to peeing. I got him at 8 weeks and he was house trained and holding it over night and during the day by the time he was 3 or 4 months.

Thanks for the responses. I have been doing almost all of the above and it has been going "ok". Cant wait for the day he is going to tell me when he has to go. I guess I will have to wait and be calm about the whole deal. Thanks again!

LovenLifeGuy

Talk to most Vets and they will tell you that a pup can't consitently hold its bladder until 12 weeks. Obviously some figure it out quicker and the more routine the system is the faster it will come, but some just take a little longer to figure it out, just like kids....at night instinct is taking over to not mess where they sleep but during waking hours there is so much more to do than think about going outside when there is a whole new world to explore. Keep it consistent and it will go a whole lot smoother for you...good luck with the new pup.

None of the four dogs I have really "tell me" they have to go(though I have always thought a door scratch would be nice). I just make sure to let them out often. I have a fenced acre so they get to spend lots of time outside.

Quote:

None of the four dogs I have really "tell me" they have to go(though I have always thought a door scratch would be nice).

Careful what you ask for... door scratch's can get very old very fast. I was lucky with mine, she only messed in the house twice before she was potty trained. When we would go out and when she would squat I would say good girl, do your duties. Now she knows what that means. She tells me when she needs to go out by standing in front of my chair wagging her tail, then going towards the door. If I don't follow right away she will repeat the process. Lots of patience is needed for a youngun like that. N Joy the Puppy././Jimbo

My pup will sit patiently by the door when she has to go outside. She has been doing that since she was about 12 weeks old. I wished I could say I trained her to do that.

I have heard people put a bell by the door and when the pup was younger they would grab its paw and ring the bell each time before they went outside. Now the pup will ring the bell when it has to go.

JB, it is not that the door scratch is annoying, it will damage the door eventually. That is the point that I was trying to make. Heck, my dog does a lot of things that are a lot more annoying than that would be. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././JImbo

We have the bell by the door. It's not annoying at all. After all, your dog needs to communicate some way with you. It's surprisingly easy to get them accustomed to pawing the bell, which hangs on a ribbon from a nail. When you hear it, you let them out. No big deal, no scratches in the woodwork or wallpaper, and no cleanup in the house.

When we have had pups we would let them out every 15-20 minutes when they were awake and immediately if they got up from a nap to pee. When I go out to let them out I always tell them to "go to the bathroom" or "go pee" and they picked up on it pretty quickly. It comes in really handy in the middle of winter when it is freezing cold out and you don't want to have to wait in the cold for them to do their business. Our dog we have now started hitting her nose on the doorknob by herself whenever she needs to go out. We just picked up a new pup today so we get to start it all over again. Hopefully she learns how the system works from our other dog.

We do the bell thing with our now 8-month lab too. Started at 8 wks, he had gotten the idea in only a couple of weeks. Really cuts down on the accidents in the house. I think its really more of "training the owner" than the dog!