• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing

Those things are weird, only shot a couple myself. If they weren't so ugly they'd be worth mounting! Only been out a couple times so far, now sounds like another cold, windy week. Hopefully will get out this weekend to squeeze in between the anglers.

i went out tuesday and shot 15 carp and 1 big old dog fish. the biggest carp weighted in at 35lbs. not too bad. it is still slow but if the water would warm up a bit it should get better.

I have heard that dogfish isn't very good eating. About 7-8 years ago, I was the fishing camp counselor for the YMCA. We used to catch alot of dogfish. I am not a big fish eater, but I was curious about the dogfish. One day I started telling the kids that they were the best eating fish, even better than walleye. I filleted a couple and cooked them over the camp fire in tin foil for the kids to test. Long story short, they said it tasted good but didn't eat very much.

Matt T

Went out last Saturday for the first time and did not do very well. My shooting was bad. I do have a question though. Where would I begin searching for a bow set-up? I think I would like a recurve bow that is inexpensive to try this sport for a season and see if I am hooked for life or not. Thanks for all replies.

Go on hsolist and pick up an inexpensive compound. You can find them pretty regularly for about 50 bucks. Then you'll probably have to pay new price to get a retriever reel and arrow(s). You'll be sick of the recurve by the end of a long day of shooting.

it all depends where you go and shoot carp. if you are in a small stream/creek then i would use a recurve. but if you many bow fish in a lake or big river then i would use a compound. i use a recurve all the time and i have shot some big dump. i just would just check out some garage sales or go to a flea market. i bet you could pick up a nice recuve fairly cheep. that's what i did picked up a recurve from the flea market for 5 bucks and a reel for another 5 bucks and it all works great.

Yeah that is the one. I bought my bow at a pawn shop last year and have had some fun with it and didn't break the bank to get it as it was only $20. Hope that you can get rigged up and have some luck.