• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Line Vs. Other Line

I have been doing allot of research on red line that has sparked my interest. Has anybody fished with it? Comments good or bad wanted before I buy. smile.gif

Thanks for the info guys.

Dean

I've always been very hesitant to try the Cajun (red) line. The way I see it. "If it's not broke, don't fix it" Clear lines work well in clear waters. Dark green lines work in mossy/murky/cloudy waters. Where does red line fit in?

I’ve heard that red becomes invisible under water (something to do with the way water reflects/refracts light).

Is there any other reason for it? Is the line itself stronger? Knot strength? Abrasive resistant? Castability? Memory? Diameter? Float or sink? Stretch?

I’ve tried the bright green (hi-vis) fire-line out and I’m not a fan. I think it spooks fish. I’ve also tried the Berkley Iron Silk (bright green) and I think its junk unless you plan on using a 6+ foot leader.

I had a buddy with out ice fishing one time and he had some bright yellow line on and he didn’t catch beans compared to what I caught. I blame the line as everything else was identical. He changed lines after that outing.

Share your research

I use Cajun line on my spinning reels for bass fishing and I like it alot. I use it for finesse fishing around/under docks and I have only broken off once. Its also great for detecting light bites because the line is so visible above the water you can easily watch your line. So over all very abrasion resistant, low memory, and superior strength.

I bought some spinner rigs a couple years ago and their claim to fame was the use of red line. It was supposed to help attract fish to the bait. If red line is invisible in water, why the attracting line bit?? They didn't do squat. I cut the beads and spinners off and re-tied on flourocarbon. I guess you can sell me just about anything at least once. grin.gif

One of my fishing buddies has tried the red line and did not find any benifet to it.

When it comes to line color I cast jigs with Berkley Sensation HI Vis Green line. Having tested this line all across SD, I have not found fish to be "line shy". In fact, my boat has popped a few Pround Angler smallies this year while using this line.

It all boils down to confidence. If you do not have confidence your equipmet you will not perform at the highest level. Tyler had a good point, if it aint broke don't fix it. But if you want to give it a whirl, go for it. It is your choice it really can't hurt anything. You may just find it fits your situations perfectly.

Good luck!

mw

I have been using the stren hi-vis gold for jig fishing the last 3 years now and we have tested this extensivly against all other lines even flourocarbons and have found no negative response by fish. In fact we have consistently landed more fish due to being able to "sight-fish" looking for the bow in the line to straighten out on a windy day with the light biters.

Of course I think it's best to use whatever you've got the confidence in!

Bigchub: Welcome to HSO. Thanks for all the input guys. Even though all the line companies have the same catch phrases like tensile strength, knot strength, limpness, etc.., etc..I do like the fact that it does disappear under the water. I don't know if it's an illusion or what but the video sure makes it look like it disappears. The UV protection could come in handy if you leave your rods in a boat out in the sun all summer, or don't change your line often. I will probably have to try it out for myself on those finicky June Oahe walleyes. If it doesn't work out, I can always go back to good old stand by. When I bring that out, the fish usually just give up and jump in the live well. wink.gif

Haven't fished with red line myself. I use hi-vis line on my reels and feel confident enough in it that I don't think I'm at a disadvantage with it.

I don't feel the hi-vis line alters the fish's mood. If they're hungry, they'll bite grin.gif