• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What a blast!

DTro

I purchased a new ultralight today for springtime crappies and for catching "bait" in the summer.

Thought I'd head over to the local "pond" to break it in a catch a few sunnies/crappies.

After a while I thought I'd head over to a spot I've had fun before with the carp. I knew I was WAY undersized in gear, but I thought, what the heck.

Yes, every fish was a battle, but talk about fun! It was great fighting practice with 4lb line and a 5' ultralight.

I was amazed how well the line/my knots held.

I probably caught close to 20 25"+ fish tonight.

Here's the biggest at just under 30".

carp2006.jpg

dtro, nice fish. I've burned up a couple of ultralight reels on carp. It's fun but hard on reels. Looking forward to getting out this weekend between rains. Strong winds usually hamper most of my local spots, but where there's a will there is a way!!! Brent

Quote:

dtro, nice fish. I've burned up a couple of ultralight reels on carp. It's fun but hard on reels.

yeah, I don't plan on making it a habit. Using the ultralight that is. Catching the fish.....that's another story. In fact I'll probably head over there this weekend, even with the rain.

Got into a bunch of them today up in a creek, lots of carp and even more big suckers, had a blast with the light line, it's tough on the reels though and stretchs the line quite a bit.

I went out yesterday (in the rain) with bigger gear. Wouldn't ya know it, my reel falls apart. So much for the heavier gear. I DID have fun though, more fish than I could count and a sore back. grin.gif

I too ventured out in the rain yesterday in search of some crappie, instead I happened upon some carp with the old medium lite rod. Biggest was probably 6 or 7 lbs. Besides fearing my pole was going to snap, it sure was fun.