• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My brother, father and I are heading to Red Cedar the first part of June and as I was looking for lakes to fish before deciding on red cedar, I kept running across lakes that were no trolling was allowed. Does that mean no trolling what so ever or only for Muskies? If I am trolling for walleyes and I catch a musky, am I toast? thanks for helping me.

As I read and interpret the law...if the lake states NO TROLLING, it means no trolling period. You cannot troll for any species. It's pretty cut and dried on that aspect. It's not intended to target any particular species, I believe it's intent was to protect the smaller bodies of water from over fishing.

If you can troll Red Cedar(which I'm not sure of) you can troll for all species including Muskies, UNLESS the lake has a special muskie regulation in place already. The rule book segregates all counties in the back and what lakes have what rules. Check it out on line as well.

I have never fished in Barron county but the regs say that motor trolling is permitted county wide.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/regulations/2006/documents/Fishing06-07web.pdf

As a rule the state has no trolling allowed on lakes or rivers except for lakes/rivers with select regulations. I would call the DNR to be absolutely sure.

Better check it out for sure. If they catch you fishing like you are trolling they will tag you right away. You need to be in a fixed position. Even the "drift" will get you a tag. It is something with the ceeded territory rules with the tribes.

You can drift without penalty no matter what lake you are on.....assuming your not using any motor for propulsion.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/regulations/2006/documents/Fishing06-07web.pdf

This should get you what you need however.

I do not believe the ruling on trolling has anything to do with the ceded territory, that only effects bag limits/dates/open seasons ect.(FROM MY UNDERSTANDING).