• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund boat sport track system

Big Walleye 58

Question

I just ordered a Lund 1800 explorer tiller boat with a 90 hp Yamaha and am wondering about the sport track system for mounting accessories ? They look like a slick set-up ?? Also would like to occasionally mount downriggers on the boat, in the brochure they show downrigger mounts ,are these also a sport track mount option ?? Anyone with some input would be appreciated.

22 answers to this question

I have the Sport Trac system on my 1800 Fisherman and I really like it. I haven't had the chance to use it much though. Maybe Saturday. Unfortunately the fisherman doesn't have the downrigger mounts as an option, but the explorer does. I guess I will have to use a board with my downriggers.

I have a 1700 with a number of sport track plates and the downrigger mounts.

The downrigger mounts slide to the inside track and come with 12 inserts/screws for the outside track. The inserts are the same ones they use for the cover so once you insert them into the outer track you can not remove them without breaking them. You can however slide them in the track but your snaps will be in the way. Not a huge deal but if you decide you dont like where you mounted the downrigger mounts its a little tedious to move them unless you get all new inserts.

Each time you want to tak the downrigger mounts on and off you have to undo 12 screws per mount that go into the track. I made sure I purchased downriggers that have removable bases so I can take the downrigger off quickly if I have too (at night if the area I am seems like they might get up and walk away).

The only drawback to the downrigger mounts is your cover wont fit on when the mounts are on the boat. But if you only use them a couple times a year like myself that should not be a big deal, it takes only a couple minutes to unscrew the bracket from the outer track and remove it or add it back unto the boat.

Thanks for your input guys ,I appreciate the valuable information especially on the downrigger mounts . I had to order the boat and I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row if you will, so when I get to pick it up I'm somewhat prepared.I have not ordered the cover yet but I'm assuming the snap under the gunwale style is the way to go .I asked the dealer about the cost of the cover and I thought it was out of line. I don't know ,anyone have a feel for what a cover like that is worth ??

I have an 04 1600 SS, first yr with the sport trac system. Buy 6-8 of them, very useful. Rod holder mount, antenna mount, trolling motor shaft support, etc. IMHO, wouldn't load up a down rigger on plastic (just me), but have not looked closely at them either.

I mounted down riggers on my explorer using a 16" "tite loc" track on both gunnels and then mounted "tite-loc" down rigger mounts onto my riggers, which slide into the tracks, lock down and go on and off in 30 seconds. Made of heavy aluminum & bolted to gunnel. Think I paid 15$ per trac and $28 per rigger mount. reason I went with tite loc was that their track fits the gunnel profile better than others looked at..

Cover: Go custom cover with a reputable custom tarp/cover. Custom made for your boat and mine was only 150$ more than the lund cover (even dealer said far better cover). Snap system way to go.

I used Scotty's with 23" boom on the Lund downrigger brackets. The shorter booms should actually work great since you don't want to be leaning over the side of your boat in rough water to work witht he lines and/or cannon ball.

If you are planning on using the Lund downrigger brackets with the booms going out the side of your boat the short arms will work great. If you are going to build/use a board across the back and have the booms go out the back of the boat you might want to make sure the boom's are long enough to clear the back of the boat.

Regarding posting a pix of the tite-loc mounts/trac, if interested I'll post a pix this weekend (currently on the road). Advise if interested.

If you want a wealth of downrigger info: Cross stearn boards (factory or build your own), tracks, systems, fishing with them, etc. Go to the MI Sportsman HSOforum and look for the cold water forum and boat rigging forum. Lots of pics too. I spent the past 4 yrs out there and fished salmon outta St. Joe & Muskegon with a lot of these guys. Them there guys wrote the book on using downriggers. Awesome group of guys willing to share info. These guys regularly make posts looking for a "crew" to fish with on any given, did not even need a boat...

Huge piggie walleyes outta Muskegon at night, WOW!! Had to see em to believe em!! Only thing I miss from living in MI is the salmon fishing and the ability to get a cold 24 oz long neck "High Life" at most gas stations for .99 cents..

Anyways, if interested in downriggers, good site for info! And if pix wanted, I'll try to post some this weekend or just send me an email and I'll fire them that way.. ([email protected])

Rod

Here we go, I needed to enlist the assistance of the resident 13 yr old computer expert (daughter). Sorry if the pix are bit dark, the boat is in the garage. However it shows the trac and the downrigger mounted real well.. I thought I had 16" tracs, I got 12". These tracs are great if you want to do a downrigger board across the back too. The profile of the tracs is great and one is not likely going to run a sport trac back that far anyhow. The downrigger swivel fits direct to the tite loc d/r mount, on and off in 30 seconds. With the swivel mounts, I run a 36" boom very nicely.. If ya can swing it, put swivel bases on your riggers, then ya aint hanging over your transom and ya can run 48" booms too.. I run Walker downriggers, place in West MI is factory refurb and I paid 150 + 75 for swivel base, got other set up in garage sale for 50$.. Pix show mine swiveled towards bow..

Hope this helps..... If ya need further info, holler. Oh yeah, no modification to your boat cover needed either, low profile..... Feel free to email me....

I believe I paid appx what I said previously for the tracs and mounts (both sides), 2 yrs ago.. If interested I know a great place to get them from... Great service, great prices...

I don't have any personal experience with what lund currently offers, but looking at whats listed in the lund catalog, I think Tite-loc is the better set-up.

Rod

trac1.jpg

Downrigger.jpg

I have the same track system on my boat. Check Marine General in Duluth they have it all. I can unplug and take off my Mag 10's in 5 minutes. Then put the step pad in the track and it wont bend the lips of the track if ya stand on them. Great tracks.

They are extremely strong. I was suprised on how well they were built, and I usually over-engineer everything. Between the downrigger, downrigger mounting plate, the gunwalls and this lund sport track downrigger bracket I would worry about the sporttrack downrigger backet last.

The only thing to think about which you may not like it they attach to the outside of the gunwall with 12 screws that screw into plastic inserts that are the sames ones used by the snap covers. I had my dealer give me a bunch extra incase anything ever happended to them.

I can't remember exaclty what I paid. I am thinking they were $60-80/ea.