• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp season is starting!

According to my records from last year, the ice on Minnetonka went out on 4-10 and I had a successful carp outing on 4-17. So I'm thinking of heading out this week. Last year I fished with slip bobber rigs with corn in about 3 to 4 feet of water in Harrison Bay. That bay was loaded with carp, but from what I've been told, nearly all of the western bays of 'Tonka are loaded with carp. If my memory serves me correct, I had a really difficult time detecting bites, thats why I switched over to the bobber rig. A few more warm days, and they'll probably start cruising the shallows.

Made it out on Harrison Bay, Minnetonka today. Caught a 20 pounder, two 15's and a ten. Missed about a dozen. Not too bad for a couple of hours of fishing. The fish were in 3 feet of water and feeding like pigs.

Quote:

very cool.. get any pictures?

Unfortunately no. The 20 pounder was definitely picture worthy, but I didn't want to bring it all the way back. These 'Tonka carp are in the morbidly obese category. Calvinist and I are going back probably next week and we'll definitely bring a camera then. I got out there about 4:30 and the carp were all over the place and feeding actively. They seemed to clear out about 6:00.

I would like to try it too mabey saturday. I want to hook a huge buglemouth and let him pull me around in my float tube!

I have got carp on the fly, sometimes by sight fishing a small woolybugger. someone should tie a corn pattern! grin.gif

your post inspired me to go try a carp pond down here. i had some yellow yarn from salmon fishing so i tied a small corn sized piece an let loose. to many little gills, saw some carp the darn gills would assult my fly before the carp could get there. it was still fun to chase em around today.