• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Black and White Fishing Photos

Anyone have any ideas where someone can find some old black and white fishing photos? I am looking to decorate our basement with some pictures (I would probably copy, crop and enlarge them) but I have been unable to find any on hsolist. I know the resort/cabins we stay at have a several old photo albums, but I am not sure they would let me borrow a few pictures to make copies of.

Any ideas?!?

Hi Jill:

I'd put a wanted ad in the classified section of one of the newspapers. Many newspaper readers are older people, and it's that audience you'd likely be drawing from for your photos.

Good luck. Sounds like a neat project.

Thanks so much, these are great ideas. I figured no one would be able to post any old photos because they typically contain dead fish on stringers! Hobbydog - if you wouldn't mind emailing them to me that would be great. I am at [email protected]

Based on So Haaad's tip, I just did a search for the Minnesota Historical Society and I went to their HSOforum. They have a link to their photograph collection where you can do an online search. I typed in fish and found several old pictures (637 to be exact) and you can purchase a digital scan for $5-$15 or a 5x7 or 8x10 for $12. Many of the pictures also state the lake they are from. Cool!!!

Jill, I did the same thing with my basement. I took some of my grandfathers photos (literally thousands of photos).

I took them to Ritz and blew them up to posters size and framed them. Turned out great. Here are some of my favorites:

oldphoto1 (Small).jpg

oldphoto2 (Small).jpgoldphoto3 (Small).jpgoldphoto4 (Small).jpgoldphoto5 (Small).jpgoldphoto6 (Small).jpgoldphoto7 (Small).jpg

dtro -

I think we now know who started the whole sideways hat deal. Your grandpa was way ahead of his time. Look in the first and the fifth photos.

All joking aside, those are some cool old pics. Would be proud to hang something like them in my place.

If your looking at enlarging pictures quite a bit from a small base photo, I would really look at stopping in to the Art Barbarian in Rogers. We were in there last week since we won one of the photo contests here in FM and he was showing me some pictures that they can get enlarged through a very detailed process. The results are unbelievable compared to normal enlarging. Well worth the fair price too for what you are looking at doing.

I think he told me he posted a thread about this process in the sponsors forum. Look for it there.

Neat project. Have you checked with your family to see if any old relatives may have pics of people that you could also add a story to when displaying the photos?

ccarlson

Quote:

dtro -

I think we now know who started the whole sideways hat deal. Your grandpa was way ahead of his time. Look in the first and the fifth photos.

All joking aside, those are some cool old pics. Would be proud to hang something like them in my place.

lol, it must run in the family because the first photo is actually my grandfathers father (very old pic).

It sure is nice to glance up and think about all those memories. He died very recently and I knew how much he loved the outdoors, but I had no idea after hearing all the stories. It was nothing for him and his buddies to take off and "road trip" up into no man's land in Canada where vehicles probably shouldn't have been driving, just to catch some fish or shoot a moose.

Infinite memories.