• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's workin' now...

Excellent pictures and report Corey! Great weekend to be on the water, and it looks like everything was in Cole's favor! grin.gif

I made it out again yesterday for a few hours with harvey lee and we found our fish in a back channel with very stained water and a dark bottom.

We pitched Exude Micro Shads on 1/32oz collarless jigheads. We used White Pearl, Pink/White Pearl, and Clear Silver Flake/Black Back. I became fond of a yellow jig with the Clear Silver Flake/Black Back, while harvey lee was having a field day with the White Pearl.

harvey lee landed two sunfish over 9-inches, with one right around that 9.5 inch mark. Biggest crappie was probably around that 11.5 inch mark, so no monsters yesterday, but a lot of fish nonetheless.

Looks like we're going to see a little rain in the next few days. We finally get the water temps up and now the clouds and cool weather moves back in crazy.gif Oh well, back to the mainlake off the first break...

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished a couple lakes yesterday. Lake #1 produced all crappies, several 10's and 11's, plus a couple 12" and a 13". All caught on culprit paddletails. Then I popped over to lake #2 for some gill action. Found good numbers of both gills and crappies in the shallows. Two gills were 9", plus several just over 8". (Watch out MJ tongue.gif) I used Micro Shad under a float in lake #2. I have found I have better hookup percentages on the Micro Shad. All fish released. I still haven't caught that coveted 10" gill yet, but maybe soon? cool.gif

Great report Casey! Sounds like you got on some real nice pannies. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to hearing you future report about the 10-inch gill you're about to catch... laugh.gif

I know Casey grin.gif I just meant that you're going to catch a 10-incher this open water season. And besides, you usually out-fish me every time we meet up anyways, so I should be the one saying I can't hold a candle to you.

We should plan a trip and go chase some big gills...

used plastic for first time. never believe in them till today. was using small size mimic minnow. caught a few decent size crappies n perches in 10 to 17 fow ... i love plastic now!!! smile.gif

Ole Matty

Plastics rock for sure. I spent the weekend on the St. Croix and all the fish I caught-7 walleyes and 2 incidental smallies (largest smallie was 19") were on plastics.

Casey, I was wondering and I had to Google it to get my answer.

Nothing comes from nothing is a philosophical expression often stated in its Latin form: ex nihilo nihil fit

Really Buzzsaw, that's just the brand name of my underwear grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif. Kidding! You are correct sir..."Out of nothing, nothing comes". In other words, if there ever was a "time" (even "time" is something) there was absolutely nothing, there would be nothing now. You can't get "something" out of absolutely "nothing". This foundational truth leads to all kinds of other philosophical questions, which cannot in any way help you or I catch more or bigger fish, just mind boggling to think about... cool.gif Would be willing to delve further, but there is no "philosophy thread" on F.M.

Now that would be interesting given the people on the site. FYI time is an experienced phenomena and doesn't really exist. One big loop. We should be able to "remember" the future as well as the past under quantum mechanics. The fact we can't poses a riddle.

Blue and white garland jigs/tiny tubes no minnows or crawlers on 1/32 ounce jig head. Both Crappies and bluegills are cooperating! I also switched two of my poles to 2 lb. test, 10 straight pannies and no break offs

Calvinist and I had a good night for the medium sized crappies. Exude micro shads under a float. Fished docks mostly. No jumbo gills for me but Calvinist got some. I was surprised to find the crappies shallow with the frontal conditions. They were on the feed big time.

Fished today and found and caught all my crappies on a micro shad and 1/32oz jig or a small jig with a plastic and a crappie minnow.They seemed to want the bait not moving much at all.We found them in 7fow and the water temp was at 61 at 2 in the afternoon.All fish caught were males and very black.There were very few weeds in this area.Tried the shallower water in by the weeds with no luck.

We watched one boat with three guys just drill the crappies with a jig and blue green plastic tipped with a crappie minnow.The sad part was they left at1 and were back at 2 with another guy and started taking more.I didnt have the DNR number in the cell,but its in there now.One gets tired of seeing these pigs do this.Next time the CO WILL get a call and I might just have to follow them until he gets there.

I took my parents out fishing today, and what a great day to be on the water!

We targeted sunfish and found them anywhere from 2-13 feet, with 6-13 feet being the key depths.

We used Pearl White Exude Micro Shad on a 1/32oz collarless jighead. My parents were working them below a float in the shallower water, while I fan casted the depth water without a float. Both areas produced fish.

Nothing huge, but a healthy number of 7-8.5 inchers that's going to make for an outstanding fish fry tonite! smile.gif

A lot of weed growth forming and most of the fish were relating to the thickest patches of weeds. Both inside and on the deep edge.

When the day was said and done, Mom caught the biggest fish smile.gif

Enjoy the weekend and best of luck to all who make it out on the water!

Matt & casey,

The report from my southern crappie honeyhole is they are chompin' big time right now! I can go out and catch a dozen over 10 inches in about an hour with a few over 12 inches. Alot of catch and release as well as some for the frying pan. If either of you two have the desire to get out let me know, I'll be on the water Saturday and Sunday.

Mike

New weed growth certainly is key. Had my 2nd open-water crappie experience ever, and it was the best one to date! Okay, so I have nothing really to compare it with. tongue.gif

Actually stumbled upon one while casting for 'eyes in 3'-4' of water with a 1/4oz jig and fathead. Knew something was up, so I quickly dropped anchor, tied on a black/chart. CT stub grub and proceeded to catch lots of crappies. The bite slowed to a standstill, and after remembering what Matt said at a plastics for panfish seminar at Gander in Mankato (Matt said to shock them), I put on a pink microshad and the action was back on (at least that's what I thought Matt meant by "shock" them)! By the way Matt, thanks for that microshad...it was part of the packets of plastics that you and Tom handed out that evening. laugh.gif

Never seen crappies so aggressive like that. One even exploded on the surface of the water attacking my Thill MS2! cool.gif Water was 59 - 61 degrees and nearly all the crappies I got were males in the 9" - 11" range. Not huge, but they sure did put up a battle which impressed me. Much better fighters than during hard water. Could have caught many more, but had other fish on the mind too.

Glad to hear everyone is getting out fishing with the nice weather and all. I haven't chased Panfish for some time now and I have a Walleye tournament that is getting some attention this weekend. I then have to go on a family trip to Florida next week so I won't be able to fish till nearly June! confused.gif It will be fun to vacation with my family, nephews and kids but I am already looking forward to returning home to fish our wonderful waters and see if I can out-fish Cole grin.gif.

Good luck everybody! I'll be in touch when I get home.

Have fun,

Corey Bechtold