• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I get very excited when I see West River getting some moisture. First, it is good for the ranchers. Secondly, I just have to think a lot of that will eventually end up in the Missouri River.

The current system is moving accross much W. SD and is expected dump 9-15" of snow! If we did get this much snow, how much can this bring the water levels up? It looks like most of the snow will run off to the Cheyeanne, White, and Niabrara tributaries.

Maybe they'll send it down right through the turbines anyways eh?

Here's a graphic..

KELO_WEB21.jpg

How much of the snowmelt runs into the river(s) depends upon how dry the ground is that the snow falls upon.

If the ground is very dry, it will absorb much of the moisture. Once the soil's moisture is replenished, runoff will increase during subsequent moisture events.

Everything helps. . .even if most of this snow's moisture is absorbed by the soil, it will contribute to runoff conditions later this spring.

Not enough to be noticeable above pierre. Might see a small rise below pierre, though. To make any appreciable dent in the level on oahe, sak and peck, I'd bet you'd need to see a minimum of 20"+ over the whole basin, because the ground is going to soak half of it up.

It does slow the bleeding a bit, though. :\

It is good to see the snow but I think it will help the ranchers out more than the river. The river is filled via the snow cap in the mountains. It sounds like they had a good snow year this year, I just hope they don't run it all through the dam by July.

mw

I live in Mobridge and needless to say I was sad to see that the snow missed us up here. They did get good snow in Rapid City and Spearfish so it should help the Missouri River south of Oahe. But it won't do much for Oahe itself. If we can get at least average rainfall this year I think we will be able to hold our own as far as water levels. We are up about 6 to 7 feet from last fall but the water levels are still very low.