• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NY Ice fishing news

Chipper sent this to me just wanted to pass this along to all you fishers here.

Study: N.Y.'s lakes getting fewer days covered with ice

March 2,2006

(Albany, NY - AP) - For people into ice fishing, this winter has mostly been a washout.

It hasn't been the first one, and according to a new study, there's likely to be more.

Yesterday, the New York Public Interest Research Group released a report linking ice data to global climate change.

The study found that lakes in New York state are experiencing ten fewer days of ice coverage than in past decades. The trend has continued this winter, with January the second-warmest on record and temperatures above average for most of February across upstate New York.

The information was compiled by the National Snow and Ice Data Center based at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Many of the lakes included in the analysis are located in the Adirondacks or other areas of upstate New York.

Fewer days of ice cover means fewer ice fishermen, and that means fewer dollars are being spent around such upstate ice-fishing destinations as Lake Champlain and Lake Erie.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Just a safety note to pass along... Even with the recent cold we have been having snow has insulated the ice in spots you will notice those darkened areas on the ice. Make sure your wearing your ice picks as a minimum and fish with a buddy as well. Ice can be very unpredictable and this seasons weather patterns have been off the charts. Take a second for safety before you drag out on the ice, that is all.

Tim-

Almost sounds like Minnesota this winter as well. We were much later in the southern half of the state to have thick enough ice for vehicle traffic. We had a good early freeze but it took a long time to get some thickness to the ice. Now we are into March and it will be melting soon.

You could pretty much divide MN in half. The northern half had good ice and lots of snow most of the winter, the southern half looks like Iowa on a good year. Pretty sad to the south IMO.

Chris - We have been very lucky to have ice pretty much all winter if you drive and check what lakes have good ice. I don't think I missed a weekend in a while now. The southern Michigan, Illinois and Pennsylvania guys have had it pretty rough this season. I think it's entirely possible for icefisherman that are so addicted to the sport to be borderline suicidal because of lack of ice. It is my favorite time of year and if it was 12 months a year I would be in heaven, but the fishing here for the few months we have ice is outstanding.

Frank and I were discussing today who's bringing the power auger Saturday? We each own one Tuzzy, Frank and I and I think either one want's to get a good day ripping in before theseason starts to fade away.

I have used mine once already and I didn't need to really because there was only 7" of ice but you know that feeling when you crank that puppy over and get those lazer heads going. It's a good feeling. Well be running Ladredge this weekend to see if we can get those slabs to orient to structure. Rob and Craig did well the other night, 13 keepers each for 1/2 day fishing. Not bad at all.

I'll post a report Saturday.