• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many miles is too much ??

jigspoon

1800 miles would be on the high side for a 2004. That doesn't mean it won't be running for another 8000 miles though. It all depends on the maintenance of the machine. If you get a chance to talk to the owner ask where to grease the machine? If he doesn't know or hasn't had it serviced I would stay away. If he indicates that he has had it properly serviced I wouldn't hesitate at all. I would say a crude average usage for an atv would be around 600 miles per year. Grab the front tire and move it back and forth and see if there is any play. Push down on the corners to test the shocks. Shift into all the gears. Test 4wd out. Pin it and see how machine rides. Just a few tips on detecting any possible problems.

I would rather buy a machine with 1800 average trail miles than 18 miles of mud holes.

I am just saying it all depends on how the machine has been used. I have a 2003 machine with about 2000 miles and there are no problems at all.

I had the same question back in December as I was looking at an 03 Honda with 3400 miles. I thought that this was an extreme number of miles until several people advised me that if they are trail miles (not mud hole miles) and the machine is maintained properly, there should be no problem. I am very happy with the machine.

The conditions it was ridden in is key! I own a 96 Atv that has had a busy ranchers life! As far as the motor and trany are concerned they have been flawless. Still uses not a drop of oil! BUT U-Joints and bearings are another matter! Mine sees a lot of mud and cow manure! and you can figure every couple years there will be some that need replacement.Even with regular greasing! Brakes are another item that get a lot of attention, The mud etc causes a lot of wear to the pads and Rotors!And Oh by the way This has 13000 miles on it now! So i hope this helps the mileage question! shocked.gifshocked.gif And still going!!!

I'll let you know what I did...after pondering several machines, talking to several people, I went with new. I found a local dealer who had a '04 Honda Rubicon 500, brand new for $4900.

I would suggest checking out dealers for old stock like that as they are really looking to move it. I think I got a heck of a deal on a brand new machine. Plus Honda is offering a 4 year extended warranty for FREE...so that was a huge factor for me...bumper to bumper, no deductable

Like my father in law told me, "why buy someone elses problems" When you buy used, it could have been babied (like I will do with mine) or it could have gone through hell...you will soon find out if it has gone through hell.

Sounds like you found a good buy. Just remember it is a piece of equipment and needs some tlc so get to know how things look and feel and sound on it now while it is new, it will help you detect any possible problems later. Get yourself in the habbit of giving the machine a good checking over looking for bad ceals tie rod ends lose bearings, anything like that and fix any developing proublems right away. A few dollars now will save you big dollars down the line. If you take care of the machine it will take care of you and you will get tired of it long before it is ready to quit working.