• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Non-ATV owner looking for advice

eyepatrol

I don't own an ATV (4-wheeler), never have. Never used one before and never ridden on one before. Obviously, I don't know anything about 4-wheelers/ATV's. So, my question is this. The company I work for has a 2-wheel drive, smaller sized ATV. I've never seen it before, don't know what brand or model it is, but I do believe it is 5 years old or less. I believe the company is going to be selling it because it doesn't get enough use to justify keeping it. So, would it be worth my money to buy it so that I can use it to help pull the portable out for ice fishing if I were to put some chains on the tires? Like I say, I don't know anything about it, but I would think a 2-wheel drive ATV would be okay to use for ice fishing, however I would be concerned about taking it in situations when there is a lot of snow on the ice.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

bc

depends on the price. its a 2WD so they have much less value than a 4x4. I know that chains help a lot in the winter, but I have no knowledge of how good. I have a 4x4, and I had to by bigger lug tires to work in winter.

If its cheap enough, like 2000 or less, I would think chains can be a chance to take, since I heard good things about using chains, but it better be a good ATV for that price.

Hi Basscatcher,

I have used a 2wd atv in the winter on the ice with chains before and it performed suprisingly well. You should be getting a fairly good deal on a smaller machine w/o 4wd though. It's kind of like your SUV you don't need the 4x4 often, but when you do it sure is nice to have. Earlier this year when I was on Mille lacs, and I never would have made it across some of those conditions without four wheel drive. My advice to you if the price is right buy it! without knowing what it is I can't tell you whether its a good buy or not. Nice used atv's with 4wd are a tough to find and hold value. Another thing to consider would upgrade a little as the machine will certainly hold its value if you decide you don't use it enough! You won't have any problem selling a gently used atv with 4wd, but will have a little more difficulty with a 2wd unit. Atv's are one of the hottest toys on the market and you can always ride it.

IMO a 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler with chains will go much better than a 4x4 without chains. The front tires compress the snow as the rear tires follow in the tracks with the chains.. they go pretty darn good. If you do get stuck going forward, 95% of the time you can back up and make a new path.

2x4 machines are lighter, less expensive, and less to maintain than 4x4 machines. If the price is good and it has been kept up, I would jump on it.

I have never had that problem when using chains. Aggressive chains dig into compact snow very well(dont know about cables?). The only time I have had any trouble getting traction is when glare ice is an issue. Then you need studs or ice cleat type chains.

3 wheelers can be another story.. the loose snow can be a serious problem when pushing a *dead* tire, but they can get around amazingly well in most conditions because they are super light and have a large footprint(dont sink in a firm surface)

Im not referring to 55" of snow pack here. If the snow is that deep get a snowmobile(and hope you dont get stuck when you stop), or spend the $2000 on tracks for the rear and put ski's on the front.

I'm not getting involved in a debate. I had very little problem in the past with 2 wheel drive machines and chains(as long as the machine had reverse). What I stated was simply my past experience. My current machine has 4x4 with defferential lock and it can still get stuck if I operate it in conditions beyond the machines ability.. Anything can get stuck.. trust me.

Who else out there has experience with tire chains on 2 wheel drive machines?

I'd have to agree with Mark. I've had both, several in fact, and no way no how would I ever even attemp to pull with a 2wd the things I pull with the 4wd. I won't deny that 2wd with chains will do a fair amount of pulling, but nothing to match 4wd. In addition you have very little steering ability with the 2wd while pulling. Another detriment for pulling with 2wd is that more often than not they are lighter than 4wd machines so you have even less traction. I still have a 2wd up at the cabin but actually gave away my set of chains to someone on this forum last year because I never used them anymore.

Thanks for the replies and sharing past experiences fellas. The atv would probably be pretty cheap since my guess is the company would try and auction it off "in-house". My only intent to ever use the atv would be during earlier ice conditions, or in the case of this year, ice conditions conducive to atv traffic, but not conducive to truck traffic (although that has about changed now). My intent would be to use it when there is about 4" of snow or less, more than that it may get tricky. The only thing I'd be pulling with it is the portable and gear, which in my estimation weighs somewhere in the vacinity of 200lbs or less.

There's been some mention about the possibility of having difficulty steering a 2wd atv. Would it help to put chains on the front tires at all? Again, I don't know the first thing really about atv's, so the question might sound a bit rediculous.

Thanks again.