• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Jig Question

Down to Earth

For just starting out what size should I be looking to get? I know they all have their place, but what would be the standard size to start out with? Then what are the situations that dictate whether to move up or down in size? Would you use a different size depending on whether you were using a minnow v. a waxie or euro?

Thanks.

Andy

Sometimes I think that ice tackle needs to be sorted by hook size rather than in fractions of an ounce.

A good starting point for "typical jigs" used for ice fishing like demons or ratfinkes, etc is a size 10 hook. If the bite gets aggresive by all means step up to a larger hooked bait to up the hooking percentages.

For the Brawl that you intend to get to this weekend, you'll want a few jigs with a #10 hook and a few in a #12 hook.

Waxies don't have any swimming ability so they are , for the lack of a better term, dead weight and even very small jigs will carry them down and keep them under you unless you are fishing current. Current will almost always dictate the need for a heavier(larger hook size) jig.

Minnows swim and even a very small minnow on a very small jig can tow your bait out of the loctaor's cone angle. Current compounds this even more. If the fish have shown a definite preference towards a minnow bait, but you need to use a tiny jig as well, just use a portion of the minnow to help reduce drag.

Often times when the fish are on a minnow bite a person can get them going on plastics just as nicely and without the swimming issues.

I've been big on the blade profiled jigs this winter. Jigs such as the Maynard's Flutter Bug or the JB Lures Charmer. They provide a small profile, yet they offer a lot of flash and vibration. When fishing stained water (like we will be on the backwaters for the Brawl) these blade jigs can really have an upperhand. I plan on running and gunning with a size 10 Flutter Bug this Saturday down in Wabasha...

There are a lot of jig choices for panfish, it's almost endless. Plastics have really become a mainstay of mine as well. Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso's and Shrimpo's are excellent, as are the line of plastics by Little Atom. This winter is my first ice season using the Little Atom plastics but they have proven to be fish catcher and I will contiune to use them.

The Marmooska is a great jig, no doubt about that. A couple other options very similar to the Marmooska is the new Optic Stealth Jig from Little Atom and the Fiska from Your Bobbers Down. Both incorporate a small profiled jig that fishes "heavy." Meaning that it drops quick and can be very effective on deep water pannies and perch. A great option for downsizing on crappies over deep holes. All of these jigs can be tipped with either a maggot(s) or plastics.

The list can go on and on for panfish jigs. A lot of great choices out there...

I like to have all the bases covered when I hit the Ice. Horizontal, Vertical, Baited, Soft Plastics, etc.

Jigging spoons are a great tool as well. They cover water fast and usually let you know if there are fish in the area when you drop down. I will often start with something that will at least bring fish in for a closer look. If they take the spoon than great! If they just like to look then it's time to start changing up to see what they want.

Ratso's are a great tool on the Ice and I use them often. If I want to try and up-size my catch than I will go with a larger bait like Berkley Power Tubes or Power Minnows. I have talked to people who have used them during the Open water season but don't think of using them for Ice fishing. They work fantastic for me!

If I run into a situation when the fish are really picky than I will go with a tiny horizontal jig and tip it with one or two spikes. If there are more Bluegills than Crappies than a Vertical jig gets the nod for me.

There are a lot of good options out there. Hair jigs may have their time and place but I'd have to experiment some more to see if they'd work for me. I have tied some nymph type flies and tried then during the Ice season but haven't had the best luck with them.

Be sure to be versatile when hitting the Ice.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Ice ants work very well thru the ice. Ants are a vertical presentation which is usually best for fussy fish. Typical hair jigs , like the ice Flu-Flu, are a horizontal jig and work for the aggressive biters. I usually thin the amount of hair/feather out so the jig is not as bulky. For hits without hook-ups I shorten the hair/feather up to the bend of the hook. Tip with a waxie for some scent or use a short piece of one of the scented finesse plastics. Little Atom, Custom Jigs and Techniglo are some of the micro thin finesse plastics that are with me all the time.