• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK... Iceout coming! Early panfish tips?

Slyster

I know there's no 'recipe' for fishing other than experience.. but I thought with the upcoming open water season.. it would be fun to discuss techniques for getting out just after the ice leaves.

It's almost February! This means we can pop in the boats in just a 10-12 weeks! I would love to be more successful and knowledgeable concerning early season Panfishing- either sunfish or crappies.

(Assuming the species technique is similar?)

--------------------------------------

Questions: Early season Panfishing in April and May:

1- Where to catch early pans? (Shallow.. deep... drop-offs etc...)

2- Best early bait to use? (Live bait? Small lures? Plastics?)

3- Do most use bobbers or just drop the line over the side?

4- What depths to fish? (Top water? Bottom? Mid)

--------------------------------------

I remember trying last spring in April/May and we had little success. We saw SO many suspended fish in deep water one time.. but never managed to bring up any! I remember we tried minnows for the most part- I hadn't 'discovered' plastics at that point. I hope to have more success this spring.

I guess it was a little early to venture into this topic! smile.gif

Here is why I don't ice fish. (not that I won't try someday)...

I have never tried done it. I despise cold. We have a small rear wheel drive car that can't even go up our slightly inclined driveway when there's a dusting of snow. I have never used an auger. Don't have any money to get an auger.. nor any sort of shelter.. (saving up now just for 2 new $60 reels and summer tackle/plastics). I suppose I could do the bucket and hand auger thing.. but then there's the cold again. I took the kids out to WBL last winter.. just to walk on the ice and in 10 minutes in the cold (and it sure seemed more windy on the open ice) they were crying... and I was even tearing up..

I miss open water fishing.. being able to move around effortlessly. The warm sunshine.. the cold cooler.. the sounds.. the equipment.. the quiet Minn-Kota motor.. the rocking boat.. the sights- especially cruising near forested shores or even near the beautiful homes (although the ski boats and jetskis stink)... fishing is really just a fraction of the whole experience- although a weighty fraction.

But I miss fishing enough to brave the cold early open water season! Even though I have no good warm clothes.. I need a good sportsman type outfit.. all I have is a ski jacket and fuzzy gloves and a pair of cheap heavy boots.

I know.. I am wasting half of the year! frown.gif

No way is it too early to start thinking about open water! grin.gif I like Ice fishing just fine but Open water is where it's at!

There is a lot of things that happen right before the Ice goes out on a lake. First, there is a lot happening in the shallows right before Ice out. Oxygen is being rushed into the lakes from runoff, light penetrates giving life to weeds in the shallows, and insects start to make their way up through the Ice. But one thing that hasn't really been written about is the fact that water temperatures really move fish after Ice out. In the fall there is a temperature inversion that effects the fish called "Turnover". The way Ice leaves the lakes and the weather that follows clues us on th where we can find the fish. There is also a spring "Turnover".

Fish movements after the Ice leaves become more "in and out" than "up and down". After the Ice is gone fish movements will tend to follow the warmest water on the body of water. Looking shallow immediately after Ice out can be a good option but not always the best bet. Checking deeper areas on the north side of the lake where there may be a shallow flat is typically a good starting point. The fish will move up on the flat during peak times to feed then slide off and hover over deeper water and hang in the warmer water pockets.

Weather plays a major role in positioning Panfish after Ice out. Chances are that the spring "Turnover" causes the fish to occupy certain locations on a lake. You will typically see fish almost everywhere on your electronics. Getting them to bite when they have ample food at this time of year can be tricky.

Be sure to keep moving and use baits that cover water quickly. When you make contact with the fish then try to get baits right in front of their faces and hold them there as long as you can. Look for emerging weedbeds near deep water for a place to start. Muddy bays, creekbeds, inlets, outlets, and north shores are good places to start.

The spring turnover is definately tricky and getting out as often as you can definately increase your odds in finding fish.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Slyster,

After reading your last post I had to wipe the drool off my laptop. Your open water description and the things you like best about being out there hit it right on the head for me as well. I ice fish as much as I can but my true love is being in my boat sharing the evening with my kids. That being said, I always like to look for water entering a lake-runoff, creeks, rivers etc... Usually the water is warmer comming into the lake and that will draw fish like a magnet. Good luck this spring. It IS just around the corner now.

some of us that don't ice fish( and can't handle the cold!!), never stop thinking about open water fishing! grin.gif the baits! part of your quest.? kind of all the above!! if you have been reading the post on here for a while, the selection of plastics out there is unreal!! you may need to try anything from the CT plastics,tubes, all the way down to the shrimpo plastics , fished alone or tipped with a waxie, to minnows.

as far as using floats; for me it depends on the water depth. any thing over 6ft. makes it tough to cast a fixed float set up. a slip bobber is still a option. casting a working the baits back to the boat and vertical jigging are all options. as said here many times? if it isn't working! try something else! grin.gif a great time to try all the different plastics you have .

I agree, its Open water, then frozen water, its open water, than frozen water. Its like a Gander Mountain or Fleet Farm Sporting goods section, up 2 months in advance and tore up during prime time. MAKE DO OF THE SEASON. Quit speculating and learn a new lake. If you think open water is comin soon Your out of your mind. One polar express and its cold out there. Geez same old stuff Whats workin, Whats not.

(Bone...please re-read the agreement concerning off colored language.)

Yup, I was like you Slyster. Never a fan of the cold. Too much work, too much equipment, never ice fished in my life. Id be out almost every day in the spring/summer time. And when winter rolled around, I was stuck home like a hibernating bear. It got boring reeeeeal fast. So one day my bro calls me up, says he caugt some nice crappies ice fishing. I decide to tag along. To tell you the truth, I wasnt expecting to catch anything, but after letting my jig and minnow sink, not even five seconds, BAM! A crappie. The bite was just hot. Theres just something about watching that little float dip right under the water and stay there. That was the first day ice fishing. Guess what? The 2nd day, new rod, new reel, new ice house, new clothes, new jigs, basically new EVERYTHING! I went nuts. Ive never looked back. My wife was mad at me when I fished in the summer. Dont even ask me how she feels now that I ice fish. mad.gif

Might this apply...? "Tis easier to ask forgivness than to ask permission" smile.gif

I might have to do this.. especially if the state increases the school

year by 5 weeks or starts the "year round" school year thing! blush.gif

Sly-

Any chance you could slide over to the west metro this weekend? Minnetonka gathering on Saturday and Medicine Lake gathering on Sunday. I think (not sure yet) that I'll be at both. I may be changing up my plans for the weekend but not sure yet. Should be lots of folks willing to help out and give pointers to start you out on your new found passion- ice fishing. grin.gif

To be honest with you. I love ice fishing!! No bugs, no waves, no jet skiers, no speedboats, and the fishing is usually really good. Portable shelter and a heater and it isn't very cold either. It can also be very social since you aren't limited by the number of people you can put in a boat. And compared to summer fishing, the investment in equipment is relatively cheap.

My biggest fish of just about every species has been caught through the ice-

40" 20lb Northern

28" Walleye

13" Perch

15" Crappie

10" BlueGill

42" Lake Sturgeon

I can't claim a big cat through the ice yet. I did get a 10 pounder up on Horseshoe but that is nowhere near my personal best.

And hopefully in a few weeks, I can add largest smallmouth bass to that list with my trip up to Chequamegon Bay.

Thanks Hanson. I can't make either this weekend... but good to see that things like this are out there.. and I will get to one sometime soon. Great to hear of your success ice fishing... I really think in the next year or two.. I will purchacse the required house/auger/flasher and give it a good try. I can't stand not fishing for 1/2 the year. That's wasting half my "fishing" life you know? Tx for the info.. and I'll be sure to post my ORIGINAL message in around 8 weeks to make it more timely!