• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new boat

Question

I am looking at purchasing a boat with a 1993 85 horse force motor and wanted to know if any one had anything to say about this motor good or bad

------------------
a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work <*)))><

[This message has been edited by short fat guy (edited 05-27-2004).]

8 answers to this question

sorry guys didnt realize i forgot to say it is a force motor. i am pretty sure mercury made it as it is a 93. the motor has very low hours on it. i have heard mixed reviews about the force brand. i think most of the negative things were fixed by mercury when they tookk over. any info would help! thanks!

------------------
a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work <*)))><

I always thought that the Force motors
were a Chrysler top end, and a Mercury
lower end?? My friend had a 1995 90hp
and other than being a little cold
blooded, it was a good motor....

I own a 1991 Force 120. The engine was not manufactured in a Mercury plant, but I do not recall where. It was marketed under the Mercury Marine umbrella. They are low tech 2 cycle motors and are ok but I would prefer a Mercury. Check the compression before you buy it, all 4 cylinders should be at about 120 psi. If it is low, like 90 psi on any cylinder, look for another outfit.

Force motors were rated differently than Johnsons or Mercurys. A 90 horse Force is equal to about a 60 horse Merc. All that matters is that it pushes the boat to you're satisfaction. This really was low end customer deception. There are many boats that are underpowered, were from the get go, due to the confusing way Force labelled the horsepower. So say to yourself, will a 60 hp be adequate to move this boat I'm considering? Buyer beware.