• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Bait through the ice

Pikemaster101

Caught several gills using the pink Berkley Gulp maggots this past weekend. They seemed to generate more bites, but less hookups. It seemed the fish would take them in for a brief second, then spit it back out. If your timing was perfect, you had them, if not WIFF!

This year i bought some gulp earthworms and haven't caught a fish on it yet. For me a waxie or two seals the deal. I have used them in the summer with great success but the fish are so active sometimes you don't need bait at all.

I have told some of my secrets in the "What's workin now" thread about Berkley Power Baits. I really like the Tube style baits for Crappies. They have a great jigging action and really draw fish in. I would recommend picking up a package fo Power Tubes and see how they work for you.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

1/16 or 1/32 work good. There are times when I will go a bit bigger but that's usually during open water when the fish are deeper. You can fish any jig with these plastics, it just depends what kind of action you want. If the fish are neutral to negative than subtle jig action is best. That is when I will go with the 1/32 oz. It also falls slower giving the fish time to watch it come into their strike zone. If I want to fish faster and target the active fish then I opt for the 1/16 oz. You have more control over the jig and can tease the fish into taking your bait.

White is always a good starting point and typically the best color for Crappies. That isn't always true but it is my confidence color. Be sure to have a few different colors when you go because there are times when they really want something different.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

We have had decent luck with the chartruse maggots and a 1/12 jig. We found instead of jigging, roll the line inbetween your fingers for movement. We tried pink nibblets and if you have a camera you can catch fish all day, they suck it in and the first sign of resistance they spit it out.