• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital camera batteries question

I have an extremley cheezy digital camera. It runs on 3 AAA batteries. But it eats them up faster thatn a fat kid eats cake. Even with the view finder turned off. I just peek through the little window.

But here is my question. Do those rechargeable batteries last longer that regular AAA's? I know the benefit of rechargeable makes sense. Not having to carry a wheelbarrow full of extra batteries for a weekend fishing trip. But I was just wondering about the rechargeables. Do they last longer? The bunnies batteries don't keep on going and going and.....

I have the same problem. I only use the view finder on mine. I went out and got some rechargeable batteries and they work great. They do dump out in a hurry but I keep a spare set with me. I just keep recharging them. It sure save me some money.

Rechargeables will definitely last longer. Check the specs...not sure on AAA but on AA there are 1500 ma to 1900+ ma varieties. You must have an older digital as the newer ones are much better on batteries (but that isn't saying much). Not sure why the small digitals consume so much power. On my DSLR, the battery will easily get me 400+ shots with the long lense....and that includes previewing and deleting. If I leave it in the "on mode" it will hibernate for weeks.

To go along with the original question, I'm looking at a new point and shoot digital (probably a Sony for fastest processing time). I've heard the Lithium Ion batteries are worth the extra money. Is this true?

ccarlson

I have a Sony (it's 2-3 years old). I do like the fast processing time. I think it takes really good pictures, as well. I always us NiMH batteries. I'm not sure if I can use Lithiums or not. I've heard that they perform better in cold, which is a downfall of the NiMH batteries. If they also last longer, I would definitely invest in some.

Lithium ion do perform better in the cold. And we're known for cold up here, although not this year so far.

I use Li ion 1800 mAh rechargeables, a gang of two of them in my Canon 20D (with battery grip add on), and even with image stabilization eating batteries 30 percent faster, I virtually never run out during shoots.

Lithiums work great in cold weather, but I use Energizer 2500mah batteries for everyday use. These are available at Walmart, etc. My DSLR uses 4 AA's so I carry three sets at all times.

The smaller point and shoots screens and flash are what eat the batteries. Most really need NiMH to function for more than 50 shots or so.

My only issue with Lithium is the expense and the fact that they are tossed when you use them up. The NiMH can be used up to 500 times if you use a good charger. One of the best chargers around is a Powerex (Maha) MH-C204W. This charger does it all, charges, conditions, and will charge both AA or AAA.

Remember with NiMH you lose 1% charge everyday that they sit and are not used. That is why it pays to have multiple sets on hand.

I own a Nikon Coolpix digital camera. It likes to eat batteries. I have used several brands of rechargeable batteries. I was referred to the PowerEx batteries from Thomas Distributing. They have worked much better then any other batteries I have tried. They have a Web site.