• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Tom - Thank you!

eyepatrol

Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful tips and articles you've written on fishing crappies (along with Matt too!). I applied some of that info today on my outing and had my best day ever fishing crappies. Started out before dawn with a glow jig & minnow and caught a couple, but most fish would either just look at it or would snap at it and then swim away. From seeing this, I assumed the fish were in a little less aggresive mood, so I put down my other line that had a #10 glowbrite ratso on, tipped it with a waxie (and pinched off the tail), put it down there, and sure enough, downsizing was the key! I sort of did a breach of etiquette and skipped the #6 and #8 ratso's and went straight to the #10, but it all worked out good. grin.gif

There were a number of schools of fish that moved through at various depths and I found that each school seemed to prefer a different jigging technique. Some schools liked the slightest little jiggin motion and would hit when I stopped, others preferred to follow the jig up while raising it, and yet others preferred to hit it on the fall down. Having my new Marcum flasher REALLY helped out too as I was able to see how the fish were reacting to my jigging, etc. I also tried a #8 pink/white ratfinkee, but the fish only looked at it, never got a hit, so the #10 glowbrite ratso really was key. You know you're doing something right when other fisherman come walking up to you, asking what you're using and complaining that they're not catching a thing, though they are seeing them on their flasher.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you and Matt (and Team Otter) for all the articles and answers you've provided to my questions. Without them, I wouldn't have been nearly as successful today as I was. I ended up catching 19 crappies with the biggest being 13", and missed a number of others.

Keep the articles coming! It's information like that which really helps us novice crappie anglers become better crappie fisherman!

Thanks again.

bc

by the way....I need to buy some extra jig bodies...those crappies can really tear them up! grin.gif

Outstanding! Glad to hear you got on some fish and I appreciate the kind words, although I don't think I can take too much of the credit, you're the one who coaxed, triggered, and hooked the fish! smile.gif You're the one with the skill that made the day successful! Keep the reports coming!

I've learned a ton from the guys in this forum as well! Everyday I pick up something new and apply it to my time on the ice/water. The wealth of info here is second to none!

Aren't these pannies addicting! grin.gif

I would have to say that Crappie Tom and Matt Johnson could be the F.M. info givers of the year. In the last few years of reading there posts along with getting different equipment for fishing,my catch has increased 10 fold and the only thing that I have done is read thier posts and follow thier suggestions. All I can say is that this is one great web site and the info shared here is simply second to none.Keep up all the GREAT work guys and THANK_YOU

Amen to that Harvey Lee!!! This site and members of it are just awesome!

I joined this site just about a year ago now. When I first joined, I had never fished specifically for crappies before. Hence, all the questions I was bugging CT, Matt, and others with. Every crappie I ever caught in my life was by "mistake" while fishing for walleye...and I could count on two hands how many crappies I had caught throught my life before joining this site. However, since that time, I've read the articles that CT and Matt have put on here. Articles on the affects of weather, cover, structure, seasonal movements, lures, water temps, verticle, horizontal, upside-down smile.gif...you name it. As a result of those articles, I have caught more crappies over the past year than I ever thought I would. Now, let me just say that I know I'm not an expert like these guys are, but if it wasn't for the information they've provided, I'd still be sitting here wishing I was able to catch crappies like other guys can.

So, CT and Matt, although you guys didn't find the fish, set the hook, or something like that, you DID provide me with the information that lead to catching of those fish (along with some tips from Team Otter). You may not want to take all the credit, but I'm giving you at least 90% of it whether you like it or not! grin.gif

Seriously though, I just wanted to say thank you for such helpful information. I had always been one of those guys wishing that I could catch crappies, and now I can say I AM one of those guys. Feels good to be able to say that...I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be able to catch a crappie on purpose!

And, like the others have said...keep those articles coming! Believe you me when I say that they are helping people catch more fish!

bc

bc,

I believe I saw that you're going to be at the SouthCental MN Get Together this Saturday on Jefferson/German? If so, we'll have to sit down and talk strategy and compare notes. I'll be there all day and you can bet I'll have pannies on the brain grin.gif

Yep, I'm deffinately going to be there, barring anything coming up this week which wouldn't allow that to happen. I've got fishing on the brain right now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere! grin.gif

So far, the forecast looks to be pretty good. Highs around 35, cold front with snow to move through on Sunday, in the middle of the full moon phase on the 14th....could be a setup to some pretty good fishing!?! I myself might try to get there a little early and do some pre-dawn fishing...we'll see.

See ya Saturday!

Team Otter and I are going to meet up at Reel Fishing and Tackle around 6-6:30am. A little pre-dawn fishing could definitely be in order. Stop by the shop if you're going by that way and we can talk a little pre-game...

Yea... yea... yea... grin.gif

I admit it, when I'm fishing bass in shallow water I'm also looking for pannies... and when I fish walleye deep I'm always looking for suspended crappies... and when I'm chasing pike I'm looking for weed-hugging gills... and when I'm... I think you get the picture grin.gif

I was thinking about stopping by there, but looking at a map now, that does take me a little bit out of my way as I'll be coming from the north. We'll see I guess; not sure what I'm going to do yet for getting bait.

This will be my first get-together. I see that registration is at 7:00a.m. Will there be someone there sitting at a table in a chair with notepad or something writing down who showed up? Also, do guys keep fish to bring home at these things or is it strictly C&R? I just got those crappies on Saturday, so I have no real need to keep any fish if I'm fortunate enough to get into them. The first part of the day I'm going to try my hand at walleyes, then maybe panfish from there. Of course, that could change too, but that's my plan right now.

If I do stop by there, it will be right at about 6:00a.m. If I see you guys there, I'll say hey, but I don't want to infringe on your discussions or anything. I'm just happy to be able to get out again! grin.gif