• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springer-less

Springerguy1

Was a sad Christmas Eve in our house since my 9 yr. old springer died in the morning. She was my first dog- the one I wanted since I was a young kid so it was a tough loss. My 13 yr. old son was having a tough time losing her as well, between tears he would go out in the garage, where I had her wrapped in a blanket, and pet her, even cut some hair off and put in a bag. God, talk about ripping at your heart. I had always wanted a hunting dog, and in the end, she was a great friend and companion. I had told my wife that I wasn't going to have two dogs in the house again but she's only been gone three days and I'm ready to find a companion for my 2 yr. old Brittany. We'll give it some time but don't be surprised if Springerguy ends up with another springer spaniel. I found hunting with both a pointer and a flusher was the perfect fit for a hard core pheasant hunter. I will make sure to do some research on breeders this time around. The springer was from a back yard breeder and she had many health issues over the years. With the Brittany, I spent time looking for breeders and bought him from Double D in Monticello- knock on wood, but he's over 2 now and hasn't had any issues- and hunts like a champ. I don't mean to knock back yard breeders but after many trips to the vet with the springer I really want to do anything I can to have a healthy dog- it's really draining, both emotionally and financially, when you don't have a healthy dog.

That is a sad story. I just got my first hunting dog this summer and am already so attached I can feel your pain. Good luck with your search for a new hunting partner.

If you are interested I do know a breeder who has a started 2 year old male Red Setter which he would like to move to someone who hunts. This is a sweet dog and he has great drive to hunt. Whoa broke and whistle trained. He would only need to be taught the rules of a house since he is so far an outside dog. I liked him so much I got one of his pups and now have two red setters. I would take him in a heart beat, but already have too many dogs. Not a lot of people know much about the breed, but I would willingly show my dogs off as family dogs with great hunting drive and skill.

Give me your email address if you would like more info.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hi Springerguy,

I feel your pain. I too love springers and have done a lot of research on the best breeders. Steve Bannie is one of them. He also has a lot of connections in the Springer Spaniel world in case you can't get one of his dogs.

He is an active member of Pheasants Forever, an officer and board member of Minnesota Waterfowl Association, a long term officer of the Minnesota English Spaniel Club, a member of ADOA (American Dog Owners Association), ESSFTA (English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Association), the ONLY Field Springer Breeder accepted for membership in the MPDBA (Minnesota Purebred Dog Breeders Association - Current President and Executive Board member), an AKC public education coordinator /canine ambassador, and has appeared on cable TV promoting and educating about the breed.

Click Here for Northern Sky Kennels

Springer... Sorry to hear of your loss! Them danged animals can work their way into your heart that is for sure. My lab is 12 now and slowing up. I know that it will be a sad day at our house when she goes to dog heaven. Hope that you can find another that will fit into the family. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I sure appreciate the condolences from all. The family is slowly adjusting and I think the brittany is enjoying being the center of attention. We'll probably end up going a few months before we make any decision about a second dog- Mrs. Springerguy is a sweetheart but the puppies wreck havoc on the house. With that in mind, I started researching the possibility of a started dog- almost surely will be a springer. I had checked out Pine Shadows and really appreciate the link to Northern Sky. There's certainly pro's/con's to a started dog but that situation would fit us best. Less chance of puppy destruction in the house and a trained dog. Both of my dogs were trained and that would be route I would take- I like working with the dogs but just don't have the facilities or expertise you can find with a trainer. Plus...I really like to hit the field with a dog that has an idea of what's going on. I'll have to check on Northern Sky- I've seen them advertised in Outdoor News. I knew Pine Shadows would not be an inexpensive choice but I knew a guy that had one of their dogs and it was an impressive dog- very good demeanor.

First of all, sorry about your dog, it really hurts. I'm on my third springer, all have been "used" dogs and they have all been great. Ours are house dogs and getting a house trained dog is better than sliced bread IMHO. My current one is even a bench breed, but she hunts great and it did not take much training. I will never get a pup again for the reasons you posted. Good luck, have fun.