• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Through The Ice Bass

Not much happening in the photo forum here for fishing pictures since ice fishing got underway... Here are a few photos from todays adventure... The fish were really snapping..

121705smalliemediumwebview5wa.jpg

Wyatt giving me a hand...

jimwyatt121705mediumwebview1pv.jpg

Wyatt holding his first Chequamegon Bay smallie

wyatt121705mediumwebview4at.jpg

Wyatt and his Dad

mattwyatt121705mediumwebview2c.jpg

All fish were either CR'd or CPR'd

121705releasemediumwebview6kl.jpg

jnelson and I (along with a buddy of mine) chased down a few largies on Sunday. I got a few of them on camera and I put together a short little video of the action on my website...

www.mattjohnsonoutdoors.com

We targeted them with panfish tackle and light line. We also landed several on tip-ups as well. What a blast on panfish gear!

Jim,

Those Chequamegon smallies are tough to beat! Awesome pic!

Hey guys. thank god i found this post. i have been seeing ALOT of BIG largemouth on mille lacs this winter so far on the camra. i cant get them to bite. any idea on what i could use to trigger them. they are definatly some of the biggest laugemouth i have seen in my live. it is a school of 8 or 9 of them and well over the 5 pound range. any hep would be greatly appreatiated.thanks

wyatt

I've caught largemouths fishing small flies and maggots for sunnies through the ice, and on a flowage in NW Wisconsin a couple winters back, half my catch over the course of the winter was largemouths. My bait was nothing but live golden shiners on a hook, with a split shot above a leader (I was targeting pike). All on tip-ups.

Caught a bunch of bass over 4, and a couple over 5 that way.

I would definitely go small. Target them like you're targeting panfish. I catch most of my winter bass on panfish gear. The other day I was using a size 10 Fairy Jig by Maynard's tipped with two euro larva. Ratso's and Shrimpo's will work well too. Some of the new Lindy Techni-Glo plastics are outstanding on winter largies as well.

Either way, I would down-size and target them like you're going after gills. Big 'ol bucketmouths can't resist a tiny little jig smile.gif

I have caught my biggest bass in winter, 5+ pounds, and that week I caught numbers of bass also. I used golden shinners, about pike size. I was fishing for northerns when the bass went on a frenze. I also was fishing the deepest part of the lake, which was 25 feet. so the largest golden shinners you can get, is my advice.