• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trip in bay de noc?

I'm trying to get some friends toghether for an icefishing trip to Bay de Noc in the UP and was wondering if anyone out there could fill me in on the particulars. I've never been there, and we were thinking of the middle of Jan to the end of walleye season. Any info would be appreciated.

Try doing a search for the area. I have been wanting to go up that way for a couple of years now. I`m in you boat to. I can`t figure out where to start fishing from. I guess I am going to hire a guide for a day or two but I just haven`t found the time to go yet. frown.gif

Hang tight guys, two more days of muzzle loading over here, then we can touch base. I live a few blocks from Little Bay and spend most weekends out there after New Years. I am not a guide but I can point you in the right direction anyway.

Eskay, I am living in Birchwood and am making my first trip over to Bay De Noc 1/7-9. I will let you know how it goes. Going with a group that has been over there before and hopefully I can learn something from them. Drop me a ling kjgmh at hotmail

kj,

where do you live in Birchwood? I worked at the golf course for 24 years, so I know the area well. Heading up to Edgewood restaurant for a xmas party on thursday night.

I will be in Marquette for a week 12-23 thur 12-27 and would like to get down that way for a day or so, is there enough ice right now?

can a guy walk to a spot? are they driving out? do i need to bring a snowmobile?

You can walk almost anywhere, orv's and sleds are all over, no trucks yet. Make sure you stay away from River mouths and the power plant in Gladstone (Bad ice always).

Brew

Season ends for Walleye and Pike at the end of this month. Don't ask me why it does in the UP and not in the Lower, one more strike against the DNR as far as I am concerned. Anyway the walleye seem to be picking up lately although overall I would have to say the season has been down. Ice was/is funny this year with typically good areas not being able to get fished. There still are good opportunities to get a wall mounter, seen several caught this year, just not a lot of quantity. Perch are near extinct here.

I've never been able to figure out the DNR completely. Some things make sense and others are a mystery. Your a long way from pre-spawn staging up in your neck of the woods.

They still have a year round open season in Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River. I personnally have seen dozens of 10-13# spawners taken out every spring. I think somebody made a typo in the rules book and meant to close the Detroit river...