• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

95 Polaris XLT rebuild

federline

Bonzai and I are finally rebuilding Blaze's XLT 597cc triple right now, we've be planning it since fall. We're fairly seasoned shadetree mechanics, but just wanted to know if anyone else here has broken down and rebuilt one of these Polaris liteweight triples before. Just in case we needed some tips. We're about to split the case, the crank seal blew and spun the bearing. Thanks to anyone who is willing to speak up.

grin.gif I'm a ditch pickle guy myself.

Say - this case is split now. PTO-side section of crankshaft is sheared in half, and PTO bearings toast. Amazingly, there is no other damage anywhere else, not the case, other crankshaft parts, arms, pistons, heads - all good.

We're considering using Recreational Engineering in Eden Valley, MN for crankshaft rebuild. Anyone have experience with them? They come recommended.

What about Straightline Performance in Forest Lake, MN? Anyone know them? They are listed in Snow Tech as crankshaft rebuilders. I know nothing about them.

Anyone have a favorite Polaris crankshaft rebuilder?

That 600 triple from 95 and 96 is terrible...When mine was a year old I took it in for a cranshaft bearing meltdown and there were 6 others just like it with the same problem...Needless to say, no more Polaris....Cat only for me...No green on it anywhere..... grin.gif

Quote:

That 600 triple from 95 and 96 is terrible...When mine was a year old I took it in for a cranshaft bearing meltdown and there were 6 others just like it with the same problem...Needless to say, no more Polaris....Cat only for me...No green on it anywhere.....
grin.gif

Statistically impossible........ confused.gif

Quote:

I'm a ditch pickle guy myself.

Yes, I'm an cat guy fixing an XLT for a buddy. I guess friendship *is* thicker than brand loyalty. smile.gif

1975 Arctic Cat Lynx. I've owned it for 19 of its 30 years, cost $40 to acquire (not a typo). One rebuild - bought it with blown head gasket. Free-air forever!

And there is indeed NO GREEN on my '75 Lynx! grin.gif

And still trolling for any input on those two crank refurb places above....

Well, Federline and Bonzai have treated my XLT well, but unfortunately, the required $$ investment to fix the crank is more than I paid for the sled total. It's time to part this baby out and look for a newer sled.

Anyone looking for parts for a mid-90's XLT SKS? Let me know. Otherwise, hsolist here we come!

Mourning the loss of my sled,

Blaze frown.gif

I just got the identical sled which according to the guy i got it from in a recent rebuild the shop bored the oil holes in the crank thats what they recomend I guess. I am looking for the front suspension bars and skis if you are set with parting it out, otherwise I have a 97 Xlt ran good but i am now using it for parts because of the body shape(the plastic skis on it also have cracks) . let me know either way. or what you want for your whole sled.