• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lighted pins

hawghunter

I hear ya. I bought a new peep (oversized) and it seems to help me allot. Actually it’s so big, that instead of centering my selected pin inside my peep, I center my pin guard inside my peep. Sound funny but it’s helped my shooting, especially at low light.

I seem to remember someone on this board last year saying Minnesota doesn't allow electronics of any kind on bows but I didn't see anything about that anywhere in the regs. The comment was made in reference to those red dot scopes you can put on bows. So are those legal? Can't find anything one way or the other on it. I like my pins just fine but would be nice to know if I ever decided to try one. Guess I could just call the CO. I did that the other day about decoys once someone told me they were illegal and their response was "not if you use them on your own private property?" I'm pretty sure they're legal everywhere but maybe it's a safety thing. Wouldn't ever use one during gun season, even on my own property.

Hawghunter- I totally agree... As I already stated, I have a light on my sight... For me its all about the most humane kill possible. If light is not good I will not take the shot.. but there are many times when you can see the deer quite well, but the pins are very hard to see.. .the light realy does help.

I'm not sure of the brand, but on Sat 10/15 while at a pro shop in Burnsville a guy was asking about a new lighted sight. The staff at the shop said they have equipped some bows with these sights, but people are having a hard time adjusting the sight. I think the adjustment problem is more of a design problem than a function of the light though.

I do think lighted pins do help you in low light situation but if you don't have it matched with a low light peep sight well you are back where you started. I don't have a light on my pins but i do have a cobra sight with the coils of fiberoptics and a low light peep sight. If i can't pull of a shot with my setup then it's probably too late to shoot anyhow.

My primary pin is a tritium sight. Glows like the devil for hours after it gets even a little sunlight or a shot from a flashlight. No batteries to go dead, no worries from the Pope or the Youngster.

The pins are spendy being about 25 clams per, but well worth it.

They come in a couple colors and a couple different styles/sizes.

The tritium is radio-active and in gas form and surrounds the phosphorescent material. When charged, the tritium reactes to the glow and makes it a "hyper glow". I have had this pin charged by sunlight on one afternoon and found it glowing yet three days later going in to hunt in the early morning hours....even with the bow in an air and light tight case.

So will I be able to have any more kids if I lay the bow across my lap when in the stand or blind. grin.gif

Saw them on Cabelas site but Scheels in St. Cloud is closer for me so I'll have to show them to my wife when we go shopping for Xmas. I'll point them out and how really cool it would be to have one and then tell her I'm gonna go look at another store for awhile. grin.gif

CrappieTom. Lol. You are right about that one.

I am looking forward to it getting darker earlier next week. It puts an end to most weeknight hunts but means I'll be home in time for dinner and to help with our little one after weekend evening hunts.

Wife is very supportive but I can tell that she's sometimes disappointed when hunting messes with our weekend night plans. Anyway, as the wife of a newbie bowhunter, she is learning the fall schedule - as am I. She thought I could only get one deer and when I tagged a doe a few weeks ago, she thought it was over for the year grin.gif.