• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unhappy Camper

cybermuskie

I work road construction, and today was the first chance I have had to hunt all season. I had placed my stand back in August, in what I thought was a remote area. I had scouted and had my trail in cut. So I was pretty excited walking in. But imagine my surprise when I got to my stand only to find 4-wheeler tracks back to the tree and everything was gone! I always take the bottom 4 steps with me, so they had to have used the wheeler to stand on! I know there are risks to leaving a portable stand chained up on public land, but it's still not right! I thought about calling the warden,but I don't think that would do any good. Well I guess my season isn't starting off to good! I don't rifle hunt so I guess I will have to try to get out after they are done, and maybe my stand won't get taken! Man that ticks me off! I am sure it has happened to others but feel free to comment if ya like!

I doubt it was the warden. I just checked any you were right, but still it doesn't make any sense. I wonder what id iot thought up that law! Yeah lets make it tougher for the guy that doesn't have access to private land. If I hang a standand hunt one night and plan on hunting the next morning I am not going to take it down and try to hang it again in the dark! That doesn't make any sense unless they want to cut down on the number of hunters by letting them fall from a tree in the dark trying to hang a stand, or maybe the don't want to the deer herd thinned, cuz' your going to make so much noise hanging a stand in the dark that there aren't going to be any deer left in the area. But is it alright that guy can pound nails and wood up in a tree so he can climb into his stand opening morning? Maybe the warden should go tear down every big box type blind on public land! Either way it sucks that someone stole my stand thats all I am saying.

if its illegal to have portables on the type of public land your on its also illegal to have permanents. The reason you can't leave then up is obvious and that's so you can't reserve a spot when its not occupied. Kind of like leaving your decoys on a public point on a lake... Sorry your stand got ripped off, that sucks but don't twist your anger at the DNR and the "dumb rules" just because you aren't aware of them.

I feel it is a dumb rule, atleast with a stand in a tree another hunter knows some one else is hunting the area and can go find his own spot. And whats wrong with reserving a spot to hunt??? When scouting for a new area I look for sign of other hunters so I know if I should keep looking, and deer stands are not deer decoys!!

No I am pretty sure it is a stupid rule that you have to take your portable out of the woods. Or can't set it up early. Yes that means anyone can use it, but that's fine. Yes it is illegal to have a permanent but you still see a ton of them in the woods. people are "marking" there spot, and nobody messes with them. Yeah they are public stands, but I would want to be sitting in someones come opening morning. Last year while bow hunting,it was the Thurs. morning before rifle season, I was on public land, and had shot a doe. My wife came out to help me, and after we got the doe to the truck I went back to get my stand. While I was doing that a man and hisson tried getting bully with my wife said how they had been hunting there for 25 years and it was good that we were leaving. When I got there, they kinda changed their tune, when I mentioned it was state land and and we lived up here, and just shot a doe. Now I was going to hunt there yesterday, and they had a camper parked on the trail and you could see the lumber, to fix or make stands. So you can't tell me they aren't "marking" their spots. I don't like breaking the law, so that's why I want to see that law changed. It's much more of a challenge to take a deer with a bow, and forcing someone to hang a stand in the dark is just unsafe, and they are noisy no matter how hard you try. For me I don't rifle hunt cuz their isn't as much challenge, and I don't like all the bullets flying. But the DNR doesn't need to make it harder for me. I know I am not the only hunter who doesn't realize this is a law in the first place, cuz I have asked some of my buddies. Alright I am done trying to get my point accross, if you don't understand or agree, that's fine. Good luck huntin'

a simple solution would be to require all stands marked with a 3 x 5 tag attached to the tree just below the stand, as well as permanent engraved plates on the stands. That way you can make a rule require them to be taken down let's say every 72 hours. Now, the gamewardens could then cite, and mail a ticket to the offender. In addition, it is STILL huntable with anyone with a license....so, if someone happens to be in your stand in the morning.....shut up, and walk away and return later to retrieve your stand. Or, get yourself a portable hang on which has a easy hanging attachment hook, or t-bolt....then the removal of it and even hanging it in the dark isn't too bad. If you MUST leave it up in the tree....you better get their early.

I personally would never hunt in someone elses stand. I have my own property and it's all posted. I've lost 3 stands over the past 10 years, and they were ALL in my own woods. Now that will make you boil....so I can feel for you.

cybermuskie: Here's another solution...Check out the TreeSuite (just do an online search). It works great for hunting state land. Just scout your areas beforehand as usual, but instead of hanging a portable stand overnight, just situate your steps at the point you want to be with your "treesuit". When you return...climb up....sling the strap around the tree....and you're hunting! Give it a look...I bet you'll like it!!

It is NOT illegal to leave a portable stand overnight on public land. ONLY on WMA's and State parks. The only stipulation is that you cannot force someone out of your stand. They have just as much right to it as you. This person that borrowed your stand is slime. Yes, it is your fault for leaving this slime the opportunity to steal it, but no less it is still a crime in my book. I have had 2 stands stolen in the past few years, and now I lock them up and take them down if I am suspicious. Hopefully you will find out who did it. Good luck!!

I'm curious now.....is there really public land that doesn't have the "must not be left overnight" stipulation?? If so, which ones??

I'm looking through the regs here...definetely not state owned WMA's & State Parks. State Forests state "personal property must be removed from State Forest lands" in the elevated scaffolds section. I guess that doesn't specifically say "overnight" but isn't that implied??

National Wildlife Refuges (NWR's) & Federal Waterfowl Productions Areas (WPA's) state stands "must be removed at the end of each day". National Forest Lands state..."removed at the end of the hunt." Hmm...guess that's a little gray too.

??

Zelek...

Thanks for the idea on the treesuit. I will check it out! Do you have this system? Is it easy to shoot from?

To the others that agreed with me and that could relate to my stand getting swipped, thanks!

I had written a e-mail to the DNR but of course I never heard anything back. I talked to several people about it this week and one thing became clear...those that don't use portables didn't really care that you needed to take them out of the woods. And why should they, it doesn't affect them mad.gif Maybe we need to have more people write to the DNR.

Well I worked today again (Sat.), and have to go back in under 24 hrs, so still no hunting for me yet! Man I hope lay-off comes quick! grin.gif

Good luck to those that can get out!