• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting rod holders

Question

I was wonder if there are any tricks to mounting side mounts on my glass boat. Just wanted to get some hints befor I start drilling. Any tips will be helpful.
Thanks,
Mike

9 answers to this question

Hiya,
Drilling into glass isn't all that scary, just have to prep things right before you do it...

First off, be darn sure where you want the things smile.gif When you get the position right, cover the area with masking tape, then take a pen and mark the hole positions. Find the appropriate size drill bit - if you're going to use screws, it has to be pretty close to the screw diameter - if you crank in a screw in a too small hole you can cause stress cracking in the gel coat. The best option is bolts with nuts on the back, but that isn't always possible depending on the boat.

If you're using screws, mark the bit with tape to the right depth (screw length - mounting bracket) so you don't drill farther than you really want to. That's bad shocked.gif

Once you have the holes marked, take a reversible drill, and with the drill RUNNING BACKWARDS start drilling slowly. Running the drill backwards works the bit through the gel coat without cracking it. Seems goofy, but works extremely well. Once you're through the gel coat, you can turn the drill to forward if you want but it's not necessary really. Drill out the other holes and take off the tape. You should have 4 neat holes.

Now - an important step a lot of guys shouldn't skip but do. Take a chamfer (you can get one at a hardware store for 5 or 6 bucks) and chamfer each hole out a little bit. Chamfering prevents the gel coat from cracking around the holes...

If you're using screws, put a little Loc-Tite on the threads, and put the thing on. With bolts, use nuts with nylon lockign threads to keep them fron vibrating loose. Whether screws or bolts, for sure use stainless steel. If you want to protect the finish behind the holders a little, not a bad idea to put a piece of rubber cut to the shape of the mount between the mount and the hull.

Sounds like a lot but it's really pretty simple. Drilling the first hole is the hard part wink.gif

Cheers,
RK

I have had guys tell me I shouldn't go with a flush mount because it lets water into my storage areas.

Most flush mounts have plugs, but apparently water still gets in their. I suppose when you're using the rod holder and spray hits it.

I'm thinking a guy could reach up underneath and slip a balloon over the end of the shaft opening on the underside. Then you could just occasionally empty the balloon... Yahh???

Hiya,
One thing I forgot to mention - use either forstner or 'brad point' bits if you have them handy. They won't 'walk around' as bad when you start drilling - regular bits can wander a little when you run them backwards... either way, go slow and be patint especially when you're first going through the gel coat.

Good luck,

RK