• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcome Michigan

Just trying to get the venison in the freezer so that I can rotate the ice fishing gear into position. My gear goes through different staging phases and is eventually loaded into my van when the season begins. The only issue is when the ice comes early and competes with deer hunting. But that rarely happens here in Southern MI, with 1st ice usually occuring around the 1st of the year. But in reality ice fishing season never really ends for me, as I prepare all year for the next seasons tournaments (updating equipment and planning). My wonderfully patient wife has to listen to ice fishng talk 365 days a year. My friends call her Saint Beth...

Any other MI ice nuts out there?

"Black ice, blue ice, white ice...it's all good"

Welcome Little John!

Do you target many panfish in your area? How do the pannies run in size in Southern MI?

I need to make a trip to MI and chase some smallies, I hear they can be rather large in some areas...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Cool HSOforum! I'm glad Bob told me about you folks. I'm looking forward to spreading the word to all of fish heads that I know.

We do get some nice panfish here, but I usually target the jumbo perch out in Lake St. Clair during the hard water season when I'm fishing for fun/meat. We do have some very nice crappies and pumpkinseed's in Lake St. Clair as well, especially in the vast expanses of Marinas around the lake. These places are only accessible during the hard water season because of trespass laws. This reduces the over all pressure and allows the fish to grow to really slab proportions (for northern fish).

Now the smallmouth fishery is a story unto itself. I would have to say that I doubt that a better big water, smallmouth fishery exists any where. In the spring and fall, but especially the spring, you can have an honest 50-100 fish day if the conditions are right. You can also expect to catch numbers of fish in the 20-22" class. My personal best is 24.75". I guess the weights would be in the 5-6#+ range on these footballs. I haven't fished much during the open water season in the last couple of years because of my son (he's 3 now). But he started ice fishing and boat fishing with me last year on small local lakes, so I think he'll be ready for the big boat/water next summer. I didn't want to start him out too quick and turn him off and so far I've been successful.

You and Bob will have to come out here in the spring and I'll take you out for some serious bronze back lip ripp'n and maybe a 13-14" perch or two or three or couple dozen...

Matt we definitely have some fine Smally waters here on the Bays De Noc. Also can get a nice limit of Salmon and run into some big walleye as well. Nothing like Upper Red Crappie or getting on some Winnie jumbo’s through the ice though.

It will be a while before we have enough ice in the bay to fish, usually several weeks behind you guys. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks Brew.

Do you pull any salmon or smallies up through the ice at all? I usually hit Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior a couple times a winter to chase smallies and the occasional a salmon or trout...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Walleye, Whitefish, Perch, Pike, Lawyer (eel pout to you)and Splake are about 99% of what gets caught in the winter, few bass here and there but those are pretty rare. Splake are pretty popular here in the winter through the ice.

John, Brew, and the rest of you MI outdoor enthusiasts, welcome to FM!!!

I am hoping to make my first ice fishing adventure to Little Bay de noc this winter!! Maybe we all can meet up for some fishing this coming ice season!!

Just ran onto this forum. Have been reading the Minnesota forum for a couple of years now. Went out and checked the two main inland lakes today. Bummer: No ice. I fish Burt lake for its large perch and good walleye fishing. I am ready for ice. Portable is ready to go. Permanent shelter is waiting. Can't wait.