• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Silencing WB/arrow noise

Cooter

I use moleskin on my arrow rest and anywhere that my arrow may make some kind of contact noise...but not the arrow itself.You may have to make some minor adjustments after putting it on your rest but,it works,it lasts and it's cheap.You can buy it at any drugstore or,I'm sure a place like Wal-Mart carries it.Get rid of the whisker rest.

Tips from C.A.P. HSOforum....they make it, so they must know!

My arrows make noise during the draw, how can I quiet them down?: There are many types of arrows on the market. Some are more quiet than others. Here is what we know about making an arrow draw quietly through the rest:

* Carbon arrows with a smooth finish are the quietest. Beman Hunters are very quiet as are the Easton Carbon arrows. Rough carbon arrows will be noisy at first, but after shooting them many times, they become more quiet. You will find that even the noisiest arrows will become very quiet after several hundred shots.

* Shafts can be smoothed slightly by rubbing with very fine steel wool.

* Large diameter aluminum arrows (24XX-25XX) are very noisy. They are very sensitive to dust, and abrasion.

* Camouflaged aluminum arrows are noisier than solid color arrows.

* If the biscuit fits tightly around the arrow, the noise will be substantially increased. A loose fit that allows light to be seen over the arrow when it is mounted on the bow will give the quietest and most forgiving setup. You can spread the biscuit open slightly to increase the opening.

* Applying silicon to the arrow shaft sometimes reduces the noise.

* Keep the biscuit clean. Wipe the arrows prior to use. Avoid contaminating the biscuit with waxes, dirt, dust, target material, etc. Avoid using dry powder type waterproofing as it is abrasive and will increase arrow drawing noise.

* Check that the biscuit is square to the arrow. Sometimes a noisy setup can be cured by pushing the top of the biscuit towards the bow string a little with your thumb. Paper tuning the bow will help optimize the rest position and can decrease draw noise.

* Make sure the arrow is not pressing down on the rest with excessive force. If you are using nock sets above and below the arrow, they may be too close at full draw. This can cause more pressure on the bristles and increase draw noise.

* If you are hunting on a cool damp morning, it is sometimes helpful to wipe the arrow and cable rod so it is free from condensation when you arrive at your stand.

good luck and good shooting!

A very thin strip of moleskin may work, as long as there is clearance on the bottom two feathers. Just enough to cover the contact point on the bottom of the rest. ???? Will take a look later today.

Good post, I use Bemans with mine & hear no noise. I did lube all of my arrows with low temperature bar & chain oil on Saturday before going to the woods, which worked fine when I shot a doe. However, let's just say that lube job wasn't intentional. They really slipped into the quiver nicely after I wiped them down as best I could...

I had my quiver of arrows in the back of my truck along with the chainsaw, bow, extension ladder, polesaw, a couple of portables, etc. The new 1 gallon jug of bar & chain oil, that I had yet to open, had a 1/3-1/4 of a gallon left in it when I got home from hanging the portables. The guy at the store was talking about the great new spout on this jug, wish he'd have screwed the cap on tight...

I had a bit of a tirade before going to the woods Saturday night.

I had this problem with mine too, and basically it is mostly due to the smoothness of the arrowshaft itself. I shoot Aluminum 2314's which with the larger diameter/surface area are one of the noisiest. I tried a few things, but what I found works the best is to get some really fine sandpaper (like 800 grit or smaller) and just wipe the shaft down a few times to take off the imperfections and get it very smooth. The difference is easily noticeable with aluminum, but I'm not sure if this work with carbon. This worked great for me with aluminum since it was really only just smoothing down the painted finish to a point where there wasnt a lot of resistance against the whiskers. You might try this on an old carbon arrow to see if it you can smooth it out this way. Be careful though, you only want to just smooth the surface out, nothing more...