• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

German Short Hair - Any Opinions

lipp_ripper

Considering getting a german short hair for a family pet first and a hunting dog second. Does anyone have an opinion on this breed of dog? My last dog was a brittany spaniel that I had for over 13 years, I just wanted to get a little bit bigger dog. I was lucky with the brittany and got a maverick kennel dog. Does anyone know of a quality blood line for german short hair's? Any help would be much appricated.

The shorthairs I've owned have been very energetic and a little wound up. I think most shorthairs have a lot of energy. It's up to you to channel that energy in a positive direction. Some know when to turn it off in the house and others never really figure it out. They just grow old and lose some of their energy. GSP's generally are fairly smart dogs and take training well, even from folks who don't really know what they are doing. My dogs have always been out of field trial stock. I think a lot of trial bred shorthairs have too much motor for the average person. If you want a house dog first and a hunter second I'd maybe focus more on hunt test titled dogs or NAVHDA dogs. There are plenty of good bloodlines to choose from. I'd call the GSPCMN breed secretary and get referrals. Do a google search on gspcmn and they'll be the first on the list. If you'd like I can give you the name of the person I get my dogs from. Just post an "encrypted" form of your email address and I'll contact you. Also search the archives on this site. There should be at least a couple general descriptions of GSP's as a breed.

One other word of advise in a thread filled with it: there are two other of the "contiental" pointers that are worth investigating. The Vizsla and the Weimeraner. All three breeds are wonderful family pets, companions and hunting dogs, but all three have enough differences in things like height, weight and activity levels that one could turn out to be a little better than the other for your needs.

Good luck!

I have a GSP. Jeffreys my first pointer. He's about 1 1/2 years old now. He's a great dog.

Holy cow is he wound up tight. Needs lots of excersize and attention. He's great with the kids, and the neighbor kids, and the other dogs. Obedience training has been fairly easy by comparison to other dogs. Very well mannered when in the house. He's outside during the day and we let him in around 7:00 ish or so.

I can't wait to hunt with him this fall.

If I ever had a dog that was in the running for "Should have been a comedian" Jeffreys the dog. He's a riot. If most GSP's are like him I'd highly reccommend getting one. But only if you have a good chunk of time to spend with him. Like I said, mine likes people and he needs attention.

Good luck what ever you choose.

The generalizations that have been stated are the same ones I have heard, read and observed.

Shorthairs - high energy (friend has one that bounces off the walls, great in the field - tough around the house)

German Wirehairs - can be aggressive, one person dog (have not observed first hand, but know of someone who had to get rid off his 2 wirehairs because of actions towards his children)

I considered all these factors when purchasing my pup last winter. I went with a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I have children 3 years old and 1.5 year old. Aside from when he was about 12-16 weeks, he has been great with the boys. So far I have been pleased with my choice as a pet and he has shown promise in the field (summer training). The true test will arrive soon. Just my 2 cents.

I think the personality of a dog is a direct result of the owner. I know of two Wirehairs, one the kids could hang off his ears and he'll lick your face. The other didn't have much interaction with kids or even much with strangers, try and hang off his ears and the kid might be missing a finger or two. But that is with a lot of breeds of dogs. The owner needs to set the standard for the dogs early.

Otherwise they are great upland dogs and have seen them retrieve ducks with ice around the edges of the water.

I love my GSP. Shes been everywhere with me, I'm a Truck Driver, and she has rode with me all over the U.S. and shes a great hunter too. I do a little guideing in the fall, and she seems to impress alot of people. She was the easiest dog to potty train, train in general for that matter.

We have a boy running around in his TERRABLE TWO's who climbs all over her, and she loves it. Verry well manered in the house, and sleeps on the end of the bed grin.gif I hope the next one is this well behaved.

I have a GWP and from what I have been told and what I have read on the breed that you need to socialize the dog heavely or they will become a 1 person dog. I live in a neighborhood with about 10 young kids and the dog practicly goes though the widow screen cuase he wants to play with the kids. However he does not like strangers when they come to the house he is very protective of the familys on the block. My dad has a GSP and it is great with every one as well. Just my 2 cents.

I have the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon a great family dog hands down might be a breed worth taking a peek at.

We also had a GSP before and they are great dogs as well. The GSP as stated before are excellent in the field but in the house they are a little hyper. My trick with the GSP was every day after work I would jump on the Mtn. Bike & take him for a run after being home all day.

The GWP are also great upland dogs but as with any upland dog around children the need to be socialized with kids.

As GSPMAN said before investigate some breeders that are members of NAVHDA they really focus on all breeds of pointing dogs. The one thing NAVDHA does not tolerate in thier dogs is the aggresive trait.

Good luck with your search it's fun finding the ultimate pup that will fit your family.

Later,

Chris

If you can get thru the first year with a GSP, you're set. My wife does daycare in our home and our GSP is fantastic with the kids. Great family dog. Mine is 3 1/2 and has hunted sharpies up north and pheasants in SD & MN.

The other great thing you will appreciate with a GSP is the short hair. A few of my friends came down last year to chase roosters. A lab, a gordon setter, and a golden retreiver. Needless to say those other dogs were full of burs. That poor gordon couldn't hardly walk after we were done that weekend.

I have a GWP and wouldn't trade her for the world. She is a wonderful family dog, we have 2 six year old boys that hang off her ears, she mostly is mellow in the house, good manners, but in the field she will hunt all day. With no training she works close in the woods, points, and retrieves. Don't know if they're all like this, but mine is.