• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

decoys

bottomdweller

I have a cheap foam buck that is in the lying down position... my experience with this is that the young ones will come in and check it out but I've never had a big mature buck come in. I'm sure one would if he was in rut! I actually stopped using mine, they just seemed too suspicious.

Bottomweller, Dont let that post come in your way of useing a decoy. Its the single best tool I have used to take nice deer. Not to mention the most fun. Last year I took my biggest buck to date only because I had a decoy. The trick it knowing when and where to use it. Also what way to face it and to use a buck or doe. That all come with trial and error.

Yes, Just not a target they look to fake I think. The cardboard ones just scare deer when they can see it is thin. But I do use them when I have a buck decoy looking in the woods I will put a carboard decoy in the brush so the deer doesn't look like its looking at danger and not moving.

My expirience with dercoys is mixed depending on the situation I am hunting in.

Field edge hunting- I have had good success gettin them to come in from a distance. I like to have the decoy 40 to 60 yards upwind from me if possable. 9 times out of 10 they will go downwind of the decoy and come right to you. Even if they never go to the decoy, they will still be curious enough to smell that funny looking thing in the feild. This has worked for me with good success.

In the woods- I have had very little luck useing decoys. What seems to happen is the deer dont see the decoy untill it is right up on it, and it seems to spook the deer more than anything. Maybe it is something I am doing wrong with my set up in cover, I dont know.

Bottomdweller, In the rut I use a doe 9 times out of 10 and I will use it as close to a breeding scrape as I can. The Bucks will think it is a hot doe and come right in. As for the decoy in the woods they work to. I have multiple kills on video of shots at bucks in the woods coming to decoys. I also have a pic from my trail cam took of a real nice buck at a decoy right before I shot him. If I could figure out how to post it I will.

What kind of position do you look for in a decoy? I am looking at two right now a Flambeau Grazing Doe Decoy an a Delta that can be a buck or doe and is standing upright? Both are on the Cabela's HSOforum just wondering what works for everyone.

Delta is the on in the pic. and it works but kind of cheep looking and hard to make stay together. The Cary-Lite is by far the best one. Cabelas also has that one and its the one I would say to get. It is also buck or doe.