• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gortex or imitation?

NELS-BELLS

I am looking for some good quality waterproof rain gear that I can wear for bow hunting and fishing in the summer. I've noticed that there are a lot of clothing manufacturers that claim that there garments are waterproof and breathable (like Gortex). They are a lot cheaper than Gortex but are they as good?

Nels

Nels- you can go a couple of different ways with this. You can buy a camo rain suit, I'm sure there are a bunch out there.. I persoanlly just have a Frogg Togg jacket and bibs that I wear under a layer of camo clothes. THe frogg toggs are very lightweight and quite breathable as well.. I really like them. However, if its raining too hard, I am usually not in a tree stand.. If I feel I am going to have a hard time with a blood trail I will wait for another night.

Good point-

The problem is when I get drawn for special hunts like Ripley or Hennepin Parks, etc. or you have a weekend planned to hunt somewhere, you have to hunt no matter what the conditions. Just to justify the cost I want something that is versatile enough to use year round.

Thanks for responding.

Nels

Nels,

Working at a GM a few years ago, we had to get certified by GORE so we could push Gore-Tex in our store. By NO means am I a professional Gore-Tex salesman, I'll just tell you some pointers.

1. With Gore-Tex, as long as you treat it appropriately it

will last longer than your "waterproof" jacket. Keep

the outter membrane clean (pours in the membrane) and

that jacket will last you a LONG time.

2. Gore-Tex is truely "breathable", so when you are

sweating inside it will do a good job of wicking that

sweat away and keeping you comfortable, yet dry at the

same time.

ALSO Gore-Tex is "wind proof" as well.

3. Gore doesn't sell shoes, socks, t-shirts,

jackets....they make the product that go in those

goods. This is what they do for business and they are

the best at what they do.

4. Typically not only is it "breathable, 100% waterproof

and wind proof", the product that has gore-tex is very

durable.

I don't want to sound to much like a Gore Pro wink.gif I'm done adding my 2 cents.

So that should get you in the right direction. You are paying a little more for the GORE name, but I'll guarentee a Gore product is something you won't be buying 2 of down the road.

AS for products, I've been eyeing up the MT050 jackets, rain gear from Cabela's. Buddy has it, used it on a trip to the BWCA. Rained 5 days straight, on and off again mist and straight down pours......stayed dry the whole time.

Enough said.

I worked for a little while in college for The North Face. Captain BRK has some very good info. You do pay more for the name. There are others out there that are as good are GORE and there are some that are bad. Usually you'll get what you pay for. All breathable fabrics take a little extra care but last a long time. One thing many people don't know is that these garmets need to be treated. NOT for the GorTex, for the surface layers. Usually the water repellancy wears off the surface and the fabric gets saturated, yet you won't be wet under. There are a few good treatment specific for GORE and like products. Look for one thats water based (weird, I know, water based weather proofing).

One more thing- make sure the garmet has taped seams (look on inside if it has mesh, will be shinny clear plastic tape along seam)

My 2 cents

ERW

I bought some gamehide stuff clothing called non-cotton and weather proof, the typhoon gear is AWESOME, they got babe winkleman wearing it now and Myles Keller wearing their hunting gear, the stuff is great!

I purchased the gander mountain guide series tech2o suit (jacket and bibs ) three years ago. so far I've been in some rough weather more so fishing than hunting because of the wind and waves creating a wall of water in you're face type of thing. So far I have stayed dryer then some of my freinds wearing Gore or frog togs. It's a little cheeper than the Gore but so far at least as effective. Just keep it zipped and valcrode(sp) and you should stay dry.

My 2 cents